N.Y. Investment Firm's New Unit to Focus on Municipals
- Changing industry dynamics take a toll on new hedge fund launches. // Euro Hedge;3/16/2015, p1
The article presents information on the economic condition of new hedge funds in offshore and onshore format in Europe in August 2014. It states that launch of traditional new hedge fund is still at a very low level in European nations, however launch activities amongst established managers are...
- Two sides split on investment levels. // Money Marketing;6/21/2007, p27
The article reports on the issues concerning the misunderstanding of advisers and providers on what level of diversification a client's portfolio should have to hedge funds in Great Britain. The report noted that some advisers at a round table meeting stated that five to ten percent is a fair...
- Hedge funds at the crossroads. // Fund Strategy;8/29/2005, p18
Reports on trends in the hedge funds industry in Great Britain in 2005. Consequences of an increasing number of pension funds and institutional investors moving into hedge funds; Development of risk management systems; Strategies in asset and portfolio management; Role of investment advisors.
- Platypus unveils Asian long/short hedge fund. // Asian Investor;Oct2008, p60
The article reports on the launch of Platypus Asian Equities Fund with assets of $10 million and a target size of $1 billion by the hedge fund manager Platypus Capital Management in Australia. It states that the fund follows the footsteps of the $42 million Australian long and short fund, which...
- "Dissing" the Intermediaries. // High Yield Report;4/12/2004, Vol. 15 Issue 15, p6
Points out that the simple financial world of big fund management houses and big investment banks standing as exclusive intermediaries in the global financial marketplace is breaking down in a process described by economists as "disintermediation". Emergence of bold new players who do not play...
- Muted gains and losses for most in equity market-neutral and quant. // Euro Hedge;3/16/2015, p1
The article reports that hedge funds Watamar COL was up 2.78 percent, while Blau Capital gained 2.20 percent and Mojna Alpha Leveraged was up 1.94 percent.
- 'Clients have lost faith in traditional equities' Coney, James // Money Marketing;10/14/2004, p2
Reports on the trend among independent financial advisers (IFA) to recommend hedge funds to clients. Belief by clients of the inability of other funds to offer absolute returns; Belief by majority of advisers of the reduction of volatility of investment portfolios through risk distribution;...
- 'Artistic hedging' Johnson, Barry M. // Banking;Feb77, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p41
Provides information on artistic hedging, a technique to hedging by investment portfolio managers. Segments of the investment portfolio; Criteria on which to engineer a hedge; Management of pledging requirements.
- Performance of Canadian hedge funds using a modified Sharpe ratio. Gregoriou, Greg N. // Derivatives Use, Trading & Regulation;2004, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p149
Many institutional investors use the traditional Sharpe ratio today to examine the risk-adjusted performance of Canadian hedge funds. This could pose problems, however, owing to the non-normal returns of this alternative asset class. A modified value-at-risk (VaR) and modified Sharpe ratio solve...