Selling California's Budget
- Beirut prepares draft 2004 budget. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;10/3/2003, Vol. 47 Issue 40, p22
Reports on a draft budget that the Lebanon Finance Ministry is preparing to present to the cabinet in early October 2003. Projected deficit from the draft budget; Estimated total expenditure in Lebanon by 2004; Forecast on the country's debt servicing.
- Fiscal Year 2002 Budget Request: U.S. General Accounting Office: GAO-01-609T. Walker, David M. // GAO Reports;5/10/2001, p1
This testimony reviews GAO's fiscal year 2000 accomplishments, fiscal year 2001 plans and future challenges, and fiscal year 2002 budget request. In fiscal year 2000, GAO saved taxpayers more than $23 billion. GAO's work also resulted in improved public health and safety, better national...
- Illinois Lawmakers Approve $56B Budget for Fiscal 2007. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/8/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32376, p33
This article reports that an approved $56 billion budget for the Illinois state government's fiscal year 2007 clears the path for Midway Airport's privatization and increases the Chicago Transit Authority's pension funding requirements. Passage of the budget is attributed to Governor Rod...
- Residents set for vote on council health spending. Grewal, Herpreet Kaur // Regeneration & Renewal;3/21/2008, p2
The article focuses on the plan by the government of England to implement participatory budgeting projects to get local people across the country involved on the process of public spending. Under the plan, people are required to attend meetings where they can cast their votes as to how their...
- Budget Process: Considerations for Updating the Budget Enforcement Act: GAO-01-991T. Irving, Susan J. // GAO Reports;7/19/2001, p1
This testimony discusses the budget process established by the Budget Enforcement Act, which will expire in fiscal year 2002. Because the goal of achieving zero deficits has been achieved, the focus of the budget process has shifted to to the allocation of surpluses among debt reduction,...
- A State of Fiscal Confusion. Widmer, Michael J. // BusinessWest;1/22/2007, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p12
The author reflects on the economic condition of the state budget of Massachusetts. According to the author, the back and forth on fiscal year 2007 state budget has created an unnecessary and confusing distraction from the real problem, such as how to produce a balance budget for fiscal 2008....
- For Alabama Senate, Delay Is in The Details of General Fund Plan. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;7/22/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32180, p3
Reports on the Alabama Senate's passage of the proposed amendments to the general fund budget. Worth of the budget; Provisions of the amendments; Major areas of disagreement in the proposed amendments.
- ENHANCING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF PUBLIC EXPENDITURE MANAGEMENT. // OECD Economic Surveys: Ireland;May2003, p34
Deals with the challenges of Ireland in improving the management of public expenditure. Trends in public expenditure and factors influencing them; Measures taken to strengthen the budgetary process and control; Improvements in the cost effectiveness of public spending.
- Earmarks 'airdropped' for freshmen. Bogardus, Kevin // Hill;11/15/2007, Vol. 14 Issue 137, p15
The article focuses on the endorsement of earmarks to three conference reports on House and Senate in the U.S. The spending bills were usually sponsored by either freshmen or those who are facing tough reelection in 2008. However, the practice of earmarks also known as "airdrops" are having...