`Octopus' Aids Open-Heart Surgery
- Here Come the Snake-Bots. Lametti, Daniel // Discover;Nov2010, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p18
The article focuses on the Cardio Arm, a serpentine robot invented in part by roboticist Howie Choset that is used to assist surgery in hard-to-reach places in the heart.
- Turkish Scientist Develops Special Needle and Thread For Heart Surgeries. // Journal of Turkish Weekly;6/15/2009, p67
The article reports on a special type of surgical thread and needles for heart surgeries that were developed by Turkish scientist Murat Dikmengil. The needles and thread, which were manufactured in Germany, were developed in an effort to shorten the length and increase the success rates of heart...
- Product pipeline. // Cardiovascular Devices & Drugs;Jun2008, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p36
The article focuses on a study which examined the safety and effectiveness of the Zilver PTX drug-eluting peripheral stent (DES), manufactured by Cook Medical, in treating peripheral arterial disease (PAD). The study compared the effectiveness of DES with percutaneous transluminal angioplasty....
- Patients, doctors take heart in polycarbonate atrial depressor. // Canadian Plastics;Jun2006, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p33
The article features the Lexan HPM 1914 polycarbonate resin from GE Plastics which make up Estech's ClearView MV Atrial Depressor. The resistance of Lexan HPM to fracturing makes the ClearView more reliable to surgeons to operate. The material was also easy to sterilize and offers good...
- ARTIFICIAL HEART FROM IIT KHARAGPUR. Passi, Gouri Rao // Indian Pediatrics;May2009, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p449
The article reports on the development of an artificial heart by scientists at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Kharagpur after four years. The device is under trials in small animals. Its inventors have applied permission to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) to conduct...
- Developments in heart valves open new cardio frontiers. // Cardiovascular Device Update;Jul2007, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p14
The article provides information on several companies that emerged as frontrunners in the valve replacement device market. CoreValve reported a receipt of a CE mark for its transfemoral percutaneous aortic valve replacement device in May 2007. Edwards Lifesciences has a 30-year track record and...
- SURGICAL PRODUCTS. // Surgical Products;Jun2000, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p1
Presents several products from the surgical instruments and apparatus industry in the United States. Includes Daylight Xenon Fiber-Optic Headlight by Designs for Vision; Actiprep preoperative skin preparation by Healthpoint Ltd.; Malleable retractor systems by AdeptMed.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE. // Surgical Products;Jun2000, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p6
Presents several products from the surgical instruments and apparatus industry in the United States. Includes Spectra-Lube by Spectrum Surgical Instruments; Instrument Marking Tape by Healthmark Industries; Sunnex HT708 series of examination lights by Vista Lighting.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE. // Surgical Products;Jul2001, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p4
Features information on recommended surgical equipments by different companies in the United States, compiled as of July 2001. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin-based Enthermic Medical Systems' EC230 electronic control warming cabinet for blankets; IOL cutter for explanting lenses by Denville, New...