Cable, DBS Get in CES Stew
- Al-Jazeera: media pariah or pioneer? Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2002, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Comments on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television news channel covering the U.S. war on terrorism in Afghanistan. Origins of the news channel; Revenue sources of the channel; Relationship with Cable News Network; Allegations against Al-Jazeera.
- Analysts: Satellite TV May Be Reaching Peak In Canadian Market. Careless, James // Satellite News;7/17/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 27, p1
Reports on the future of satellite TV in the Canadian market. Comparison of the growth of satellite TV, cable TV and direct-to-home services; Limitations of satellite TV; Plan of Bell Expressvu to make it more competitive against cable.
- DirecTV leads rapid ramp-up of digital channels. Schneider, Michael // Daily Variety;10/30/2007, Vol. 297 Issue 22, pA7
The article reports on United States cable and satellite television broadcasters' expansion of their digital channels. According to the author, DirecTV has initiated the trend by launching 72 national channels to increase its satellite coverage. Meanwhile, EchoStar's Dish Network has opened...
- SAT SUBS MORE SATISFIED. Oei, Lily // Daily Variety;8/25/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 37, p8
Focuses on the increase of cable operators' video-on-demand and high speed data offerings to match the growth rate and consumer appeal of DBS rivals. Rate of cable compared to the satellite rates; Consumer satisfaction in satellite services; Criteria of greatest weight for customer satisfaction.
- Satellite TV comes down to earth. // Consumer Reports;Jul2000, Vol. 65 Issue 7, p19
Compares the value of satellite dishes with that of cable television in the United States. Echostar; DirecTV; Quality of satellite programming; How to choose a satellite provider; Recommendations. INSET: Media giants clash, viewers suffer.
- Satellite and cable scrap for digital aud. Tillson, Tamsen // Variety;1/13/2003, Vol. 389 Issue 8, p38
Focuses on the market share growth of cable and satellite television in Canada as of January 2003. Issue pointed out by Bell Express Vu director of communications Ron MacInnes; Factors which may impede the growth of satellite programming in the country; TEchnoloigcal development concerning...
- Brazil's DTH base grows as cable homes decline. Cajueiro // Multichannel News;12/06/99, Vol. 20 Issue 50, p126
Reports on the growth of Brazil's direct-to-home subscriber base in the second quarter of 1999. Decline in the number of cable homes; Net growth in the country's pay television industry.
- RESEARCH. HAUGSTED, LINDA // Multichannel News;5/21/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 21, p24
The article reports that direct-broadcast satellite providers continue to top cable operators in satisfying their customers in the U.S., according to the quarterly American Customer Satisfaction Index issued by the University of Michigan on May 15, 2007. The ranking is relative because the video...
- Red, White & Brown. Winslow, George // Multichannel News;6/11/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 24, p22
The article reports that cable operators and satellite services providers in the U.S. have stepped up their efforts to pick up new viewers from audiences that identify with almost any country other than the U.S. Cable operators have a leg up among African-Americans while satellite has shown...