Closing the POWER GAP
- RESEARCH. HAUGSTED, LINDA // Multichannel News;5/21/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 21, p24
The article reports that direct-broadcast satellite providers continue to top cable operators in satisfying their customers in the U.S., according to the quarterly American Customer Satisfaction Index issued by the University of Michigan on May 15, 2007. The ranking is relative because the video...
- Where Are Cord-Cutters? Signing Up for Cable, Satellite. // Television Week;3/2/2009, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p24
The article reports on the growth of satellite television in the U.S. It states that many consumers are leaving cable and turning to satellite and telecommunication companies. It mentions that satellite companies have always campaigned harder on the value proposition and most offer better...
- DISH & Lifetime back together. Forever? Joyner, Ashley Tusan // New York Amsterdam News;2/9/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 7, p4
The article informs that as a result of collapsed rate renegotiations between leading women's network duo Lifetime Television/Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) and popular satellite television provider DISH Network, the December 31, 2005 expiration of DISH's carriage contract with Lifetime had forced...
- Al-Jazeera: media pariah or pioneer? Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2002, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Comments on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television news channel covering the U.S. war on terrorism in Afghanistan. Origins of the news channel; Revenue sources of the channel; Relationship with Cable News Network; Allegations against Al-Jazeera.
- DirecTV leads rapid ramp-up of digital channels. Schneider, Michael // Daily Variety;10/30/2007, Vol. 297 Issue 22, pA7
The article reports on United States cable and satellite television broadcasters' expansion of their digital channels. According to the author, DirecTV has initiated the trend by launching 72 national channels to increase its satellite coverage. Meanwhile, EchoStar's Dish Network has opened...
- SAT SUBS MORE SATISFIED. Oei, Lily // Daily Variety;8/25/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 37, p8
Focuses on the increase of cable operators' video-on-demand and high speed data offerings to match the growth rate and consumer appeal of DBS rivals. Rate of cable compared to the satellite rates; Consumer satisfaction in satellite services; Criteria of greatest weight for customer satisfaction.
- Satellite TV comes down to earth. // Consumer Reports;Jul2000, Vol. 65 Issue 7, p19
Compares the value of satellite dishes with that of cable television in the United States. Echostar; DirecTV; Quality of satellite programming; How to choose a satellite provider; Recommendations. INSET: Media giants clash, viewers suffer.
- Brazil's DTH base grows as cable homes decline. Cajueiro // Multichannel News;12/06/99, Vol. 20 Issue 50, p126
Reports on the growth of Brazil's direct-to-home subscriber base in the second quarter of 1999. Decline in the number of cable homes; Net growth in the country's pay television industry.
- Digital death match. Cooper, Jim; Klein, Michael // Adweek Eastern Edition;6/9/2003, Vol. 44 Issue 23, pSR4
The digital battle between major cable companies and direct-to-home satellite services in the U.S. is intensifying. Both sides, desperate to make their offerings attractive to customers increasingly willing to pay more for digital entertainment and information, are rushing new services to...