DBS Ups the Ante With New Tech
- DISHING OUT DVR. Brown, Karen // Multichannel News;Sep2003, Vol. 24 Issue 35, p1
Deals with the launching of EchoStar Communications Corporation's digital video recorder service (DVR) in August 2003. Significance of the launching; Views on DVR technology; Details on EchoStar's promotions for the service.
- DBS Tries PPV Discounts, Downloads. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;5/23/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 21, p10
Reports on the pay-per-view movie services launched by DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. Key features of the video-on-demand (VOD) movie services; Mechanism of the movie services; Advantages of subscribing to VOD movies.
- ECHOSTAR UPS DVR WAR. Swann, Phillip // Television Week;9/8/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 36, p16
Focuses on the competition between DirecTV and EchoStar regarding digital video recorders (DVR) given to subscribers in the U.S. Decision of Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell to reject the proposed merger of the companies; Launch of the Free DVR campaign of EchoStar;...
- Competition Drives Digital-Sub Growth. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;05/08/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p20
Reports on the continued growth of consumer demand for digital video service in the first months of 2000. Subscriber growth for both digital cable and direct broadcast satellite providers; Estimated number of residential subscribers in the United States; Statistics on new subscribers at DirecTV...
- DirecTV Targets HD; Dish Promotes DVRs. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;1/15/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p10
The article reports on the strategies of DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. to launch 100 high definition television (HDTV) channels and digital video recorders (DVR) in the U.S. It was noted that the will lead DirecTV in HD channels, while Echostar's DishDVR Advantage is offered...
- Echostar Launches Portable Media Player, Adds Two Indian Channels. // Satellite Today;10/12/2005, Vol. 4 Issue 198, pN.PAG
This article reports that Echostar Communications Corp. and its Dish Network direct-to-home satellite television service unveiled a new line of portable media players on October 11, 2005. Dubbed Pocketdish, the media players allow users to download and play back audio and video files, including...
- Battle in the skies. Coleman, Price // Broadcasting & Cable;03/16/98, Vol. 128 Issue 11, p64
Focuses on changes made in programming EchoStar Communications and DirecTV company. Indepth look at changes made at EchoStar; National Football League and National Basketball Association programming offered by DirectTV; Cost of cable programs at EchoStar.
- DBS Execs at Confab: Sky's the Limit. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;11/3/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p6
Deals with the potential growth of the direct broadcast satellite (DBS) television (TV) industry in the U.S. according to DBS executives who attended the 2003 SkyForum Conference. High-definition TV service of EchoStar; Growth in digital video recorder subscriber base of DirecTV; Voom DBS...
- SPOT WATCH. // Multichannel News;11/22/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 47, p36
Features an advertisement shown at DirecTV digital video recorder aired in November 2004 which focused on cable's on-demand play. Details of the commercial scene; Message of the commercial addressed to its viewers.