State of Schwarzenegger
- Budget Reform Needs Voices From All Corners. Kolb, Brian M. // Business Journal (Central New York);2/2/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p30
The article offers insights into a budget reform bill in New York. The author hopes that the reforms passed include call to prohibit the use of lump-sum appropriations. He states that the bill was proposed by Governor Eliot Spitzer and negotiated quietly with the Senate Leader and Assembly...
- Sacramento needs to get back to work. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;4/28/2006, Issue 323549, p26
The article reflects on the works that are awaiting actions by the Governor and the state legislature of Sacramento, California. It is suggested that infrastructure problem is getting critical in the state with the arrival of new residents. Some critical issues which needs quick attention is...
- Can Work and Training Programs Reform Welfare? O'NELL, JUNE // Journal of Labor Research;Summer93, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p265
Over the past thirty years the number of Americans on welfare has increased by 460 percent, generating concern about both the monetary and social costs involved. Long-term welfare dependence produces adverse outcomes for many families by distorting incentives for work and marriage. Government...
- OREGON Gov. Pushes Biennial Budget. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/8/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32524, p45
The article reports on the proposed budget of Governor Ted Kulongoski for 2007-2009. Included in the proposal are the $594.5 million of bonds for the construction projects in the state and the $100 million of lottery revenue bonds for the Connecticut program. Kulongoski will also proposed an...
- Early education really matters. // Crain's Detroit Business;4/27/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 17, p6
The article focuses on the initiative of Michigan government for creating a coordinated system of local community resources to help Michigan families with children 5 and younger. It states that Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm and the Michigan Legislature have initiated 56 Great Start...
- Nation's governors tout the success of welfare reform. // Journal of Housing & Community Development;Sep/Oct98, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p3
Focuses on the report released by the National Governors' Association (NGA) in the United States which hails the success of the welfare reform program of the states. Highlights of the report; Decline in the number of welfare recipient since the enactment of the welfare reform legislation.
- Governors take compromise position on welfare reform. Litvin, Margaret // Techniques: Making Education & Career Connections;Mar97, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p6
Reports that the National Governors' Association has taken a compromise position on welfare reform. Withdrawal of appeal to the Congress to reopen the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act; Request for clarifications on the implications of the law's work placement requirement for...
- Senate rejects Democrat welfare substitute. // Human Events;8/02/96, Vol. 52 Issue 29, p23
Reports on the US Senate's rejection of a Democratic alternative to the Budget Reconciliation/Welfare Overhaul bill. Proposed reductions in welfare spending; Results of voting; Passage of the welfare reform bill.
- Benefit cuts to hit N Ireland hardest. // Public Finance;Nov2013, Issue 11, p19
The article reports on the effect of possible budget cutting as part of the social welfare law reform in Northern Ireland.