- Lesson to fashion-driven retailers: Shoppers want to buy,... Shapiro, Leo J. // Crain's Chicago Business;11/18/96, Vol. 19 Issue 47, p11
Opinion. Comments on the increasing numbers of shoppers who are trading traditional department stores for discount stores. Reasons for the increase; Statistical information on the increase.
- Weighed down by anchor woes. Hazel, Debra // Chain Store Age;Dec95 Section 1, Vol. 71 Issue 12, p151
Reports on the status of discount stores in eastern Pennsylvania. Store closures; Innovation efforts; Supermarket expansions; Real estate developments; Mall competition in Pennsylvania.
- The big three dominate discounting. Hazel, Debra // Chain Store Age;Aug96 Supplement, Vol. 72 Issue 8, p27A
Focuses on the performance of discount houses in the United States in 1995. Sales; Marketing strategies; Customers; Comments from industry executives.
- Wal-Mart. // Chain Store Age;Feb97, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p18RSO
Features the Wal-Mart Store in City of Industry, California, winner of a special award for energy conservation in the 1996 `Chain Store Age' Retail Store of the Year competition. Development by Wal-Mart, Bentonville, Arkansas in association with Southern California Edison; Materials;...
- U.S. clubs in Mexico shut for 1 day. // Discount Store News;7/5/93, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p4
Reports on government shutdown of The Club Aurrera and Price Club discount stores in Mexico City, Mexico. Duration; Noncompliance with Normas Officialas Mexicanos (NOM), a set of rules for selling consumer goods; View of NOM as an excuse to restrict the flow of American goods to Mexico.
- DSN sponsors conference on Wal-mart, Kmart, Target. // Discount Store News;7/5/93, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p11
Announces the conference `A Strategic Look at Wal-Mart, Kmart and Target,' on August 19, 1993 at the Marriott Marquis in New York. Sponsorship by Discount Store News, Chain Store Age Executive and Babson College; Strategic aspects of discounting; Contact for information.
- Bud's vaults from 8th to 3rd on closeout list. // Discount Store News;7/5/93, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p85
Reports on chain stores' marketing strategies to post gains in the closeout retailing industry. Bud's Warehouse Outlets's operation in Wal-Mart stores; Use of floorspace for dollar closeout goods; Closeout-surplus stores; MacFrugal's corporate expansions; Top closeout chains.
- American supercenter concept key to future growth. // Discount Store News;7/5/93, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p89
Reports on supercenters chains' sales performance and marketing strategies in 1992. Success rate of American supercenter concepts compared to European formats; Percentage increase in total sales since 1991; Sales and store count of Meijer and Fred Meyer; Expansion ans replacement of discount...
- Vendors applauded for charitable effort. // Discount Store News;8/16/93, Vol. 32 Issue 16, p55
Focusses on the 1993 Discounters In Service to the Community (DISC) in Partnership vendor award entries. Includes community service efforts of various retailers; Evenflo; Osram Sylvania's `America's Official Reading Time Program'; Skil Corp.; Springmaid; Stern's Miracle-Gro; Thompson & Formby;...