Texas School's Insurer Settles Suit With Contractor
- Harlandale Suit O.K. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;8/24/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31954, p27
Reports on the lawsuit filed by the Harlandale Independent School District against Louis Cruz, an architect hired by the district to oversee a million bond program approved by voters in California. Facts of the case.
- School-Suit Offer Nixed. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/21/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31973, p27
Reports on the decision of the board of trustees of the Harlandale Independent School District in Texas, to reject an offer made by Louis Cruz, a former district project director, in an effort to settle a civil lawsuit filed against him.
- Legal Delays Over, Houston ISD Holds Deal Due to Roiled Market. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;3/5/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32829, p40
The article reports on the postponement of the $400 million general obligation bond sale of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) due to market conditions in Texas. According to chief financial officer Melinda Garett, it will take days or weeks before market conditions improve...
- Ambac Assurance Seeks Dismissal Of Lawsuit Filed by New Orleans. Herman, Jack // Bond Buyer;10/3/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 32976, p7
The article reports that Ambac Assurance Corp. seeks dismissal of the lawsuit filed by New Orleans in Louisiana which alleges that mismanagement and greed at Ambac cost the city millions of dollars. The city said Ambac's exposure to structured finance products weakened the insurer's status as a...
- Indiana School District Late on Debt Payments. Devitt, Caitlin // Bondbuyer.com;1/29/2015, p33
The article informs about the failure of the Munster school district in Indiana to make on-time payments on two bond issues in Janaury 2015 due to the failure of the town of Munster to make its required lease rental payment that was due on December 31, 2014.
- North Dakota County Wants Out of Bonds that Spurred Recall. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;9/3/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34372, p1
Griggs County, N.D. is suing its own building authority to get out of lease payments supporting a controversial bond deal that sparked a recall of the entire county board.
- Virginia Unwilling to Tempt Fate By Dawdling on Tobacco Bond Closing. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;5/13/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32132, p35
This article reports that Virginia gave itself two days of wiggle-room on its previously scheduled May 18 closing date for $428.5 million of tax-exempt bonds backed by future payments from national tobacco companies under the Master Settlement Agreement that priced yesterday, citing concerns...
- Court Denies Preliminary Injunction in Freedom Holdings Lawsuit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/20/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32137, p4
The article focuses on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit that denied a lawsuit which alleges that state laws written to bolster the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement are illegal. The news on its face is good for tobacco bonds, which have traded in the 6% range since late...
- With Suit Dismissed, Texas School District Hopes to Sell Bonds. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;1/8/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 327820, p3
The article reports that the Waller Independent School District is awaiting the Texas attorney general's go-ahead for a $49.3 million bond sale after an appeals court ruling dismissed litigation that had delayed the sale for six months. According to Dewayne Charleston, Waller County justice of...