Calif. Gov. To Address State This Evening
- California Lawmakers Fail to Reach Agreement on Plan for $11B Deficit. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;12/1/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 33013, p5
The article reports on the failure of the California Legislature to make an agreement on how to solve the $11 billion budget deficit of the state. Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger stated that there was a total failure on the legislature's part since the budget plan showed to be deep in...
- California's Next Hurdle. Rusher, William // Human Events;12/15/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 43, p10
Focuses on the plan of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to impose a spending capital on the legislature and authorize a bond issue to cover part of the state's deficit. Oppositions of Democratic legislators to Schwarzenegger's plans; Proposal by legislators to cover the state's deficit.
- As I See It. Dodgson, Gregory E. V. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;10/13/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p49
Presents opinion on the economic impact of the election of actor Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of California. Promise he made to control a projected deficit for 2004-2005; Reason for Californians to replace Governor Gray Davis; Factor cited by Republicans for the state's crisis.
- California's Westly has Own Ideas. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;2/27/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31830, p1
Reports on statements by California Controller Steve Westly on the state's deficit bond proposal during a meeting of the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco in February 2004. Need to take advantage of low interest rates; Proposal for open primaries that would encourage less partisan voters to...
- California Hunkers Down Into 3-Way Standoff. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/29/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 92951, p1
The article reports that the debate over the overdue budget of California hardened into three distinct positions. Democratic lawmakers note that they will hold the position against most budget cuts to close the $15.2 billion structural budget deficit of the state. However, Republican lawmakers...
- LEGISLATURE. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;5/23/2008, Issue 323869, p6
The article reports on the constitutional amendment proposed by Republican Senator Abel Maldonado of Santa Ana that would ban pay raises for the governor and other state elected officials during a budget deficit in California. Maldonado expects reactions on the bill to be unfavorable. The state...
- California at a crossroads. Thredgold, Jeff // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;11/24/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 22, p11
Looks at the challenges that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will face in his attempt to redirect the economy of the state. Tax and other fee hikes; Legislature comprising of a majority of Democrats; Budget deficit.
- California LAO Outlines Its Issues With Budget. Saskal, Rick // Bond Buyer;1/16/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32547, p1
The article reports that the Legislative Analyst's Office (LAO) in California raised a few questions after Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger proclaimed a victory over the state's operating budget deficit. An overview stated that the governor's budget assumes that adoption of its proposals will...
- Flailing in California. Sloane, Todd // Modern Healthcare;12/15/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 50, p18
Discusses the negative impact of crises facing California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on healthcare for Californians. Background on a spending cap proposed by the governor; Amount of budget deficit in the state; Plan of the governor for the state budget.