From Red to Blue: Montana Seats New Democratic Governor, Legislature
- Preview of the 82nd State Legislature. Leptinsky, Andrea // Texas Journal of Corrections;2010 4th Quarter, p7
The article offers information on the 82nd Texas State Legislature which starts on January 11, 2011 focusing on two topics, budget and redistricting. It describes the composition with two new senators and 37 new representatives, and Republicans winning 22 seats from the Democrats in the November...
- What's Big in 2001. Stuart, Elaine // State Government News;Feb2001, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p13
Looks at the agenda of state legislators in the United States for the 2001 sessions. Education and budget issues to be considered by state legislators; Concerns of state legislators.
- Colorado Bill Clarifies Authority, Independence of Private Schools. A. H. // Education Week;6/1/1983, Vol. 2 Issue 36, p19
The article reports that Colorado legislature has passed a bill that spells out the limitations of public control over private schools. The bill clearly states that the state board of education and local boards do not have jurisdiction over the internal affairs of independent schools. It also...
- CAPITOL RECAP. // Education Week;06/13/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 40, p19
Reports education-related highlights of legislative sessions in the United States as of June 2001. Issue of the performance-based pay for teachers; Appreciation of educators to the performance of lawmakers; Delay of teacher-compensation.
- Parents Try to Reclaim Summer. Fratt, Lisa // District Administration;Apr2006, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p15
The article reports on issues regarding the early start of schools in the U.S. The effort of the districts in pushing school start dates into early August is to maximize instructional time. However in Florida, many parents have reacted because early august is the height of hurricane season. The...
- Lawmakers Form Caucuses On After-School Issues. Samuels, Christina A. // Education Week;3/9/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 26, p25
The article informs that a bipartisan group of lawmakers last week launched the Congressional Afterschool Caucuses in the hope of increasing federal funding for after-school programs. The group of six legislators includes Senators, Christopher J. Dodd, and John Ensign. In conjunction with that...
- Deficit cutting on agenda, but to what degree? Soule, Alexander // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/19/2009, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p3
The article reports on the agenda of the Connecticut General Assembly, including tackling revenue shortfalls and budget deficit reduction in January 7, 2009 in Connecticut. It states that Senator Donald Williams Jr. introduced the first bill, which focuses on economic security for families...
- Legislative update. // Education Week;06/17/98, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p28
Presents summaries of final fiscal budgets for schools and education-related issues during legislative sessions in the United States. Allocation of 20 million dollars in funds for an Early Reading Success Program in Connecticut; Details on the proposed authorization of school district bonds in...
- Legislative Update. // Education Week;06/09/99, Vol. 18 Issue 39, p17
Presents a summary of states' final school budgets for fiscal 2000 and highlights some education-related action in the legislatures in the United States. Georgia; Montana; Virginia.