- APPARATUS DELIVERIES. // Fire Engineering;Dec2001, Vol. 154 Issue 12, p86
Provides information on firefighting equipment and apparatus used by the fire departments in the U.S. Features of pumper/tanker; Description of aerial ladder truck; Rescue truck with a high bumper and tailboard.
- How to tilt test a fire apparatus. ROSENHAN, A. K. // Trailer/Body Builders Exclusive Insight;6/1/2013, p30
The article discusses the ways of tilt testing a fire apparatus. It offers information on the advantages and disadvantages of the three methods listed to meet the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1901 Automotive Fire Apparatus requirement. Information is also provided on a tilt table...
- APPARATUS DELIVERIES. MALECKY, JOHN M. // Fire Engineering;Sep2011, Vol. 164 Issue 9, p109
The article presents several apparatus acquired by various fire departments in the U.S. Four KME tractor-drawn aerial ladder trucks were delivered to the Los Angeles County (California) Fire Department. A Ferrara Fire Apparatus pumper was deployed by the Polk County (Florida) Fire Rescue at a...
- The Challenges of Fire Department Connections. CONNORS, TODD // Fire Engineering;Oct2010, Vol. 163 Issue 10, p30
The article discusses the challenges of an inoperable fire department connection (FDC). Among the reasons for such a problem are missing or stolen FDC, broken piping, and a fire pump that is out of service or maintenance. The methods used by district chiefs who faced such scenarios include using...
- Aerial Device Training: Advancing in the Basics. STEED, JONATHON // Fire Engineering;Feb2013, Vol. 166 Issue 2, p61
The article presents practical tips for firefighters in the U.S. on the operation of aerial firefighting apparatus and devices such as tower ladders and aerial ladders as of February 2013. The relationship between firefighting trainers and trainees is addressed in relation to standard operating...
- Even more on apparatus positioning. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2000, Vol. 153 Issue 2, p184
Describes the positioning of aerial ladders in firefighting operations. Selection of ladder sites; Key factors to consider in placing ladders beside buildings; Positioning of second-arriving ladders at multiple-dwelling locations.
- Tower ladders: Positioning tips and techniques. Ciampo, Michael N. // Fire Engineering;Mar2000, Vol. 153 Issue 3, p14
Offers tips on positioning of tower or aerial ladders of firetrucks. Factors to consider in selection of optimal placement position; Setting-up techniques; Guidelines for tower ladder personnel.
- Products services media. // Fire Engineering;Apr96, Vol. 149 Issue 4, p108
Introduces various firefighting equipment and supplies. Includes Electronic Fire Commander electronic pump controller and apparatus; Glass Cutter HGC 7 rescue tool; PAC III Personal Gas Monitor.
- 'Stealing' water with the water thief. Leihbacher, Doug // Fire Engineering;Jan1999, Vol. 152 Issue 1, p69
Focuses on the water thief, a type of manifold device similar to a wye gate, which is used in firefighting. Components; Uses; Operation; Water flow calculation.