Bipartisan House backers introduce Gorton's plan to protect muni debt
- St. Paul shifts gears: Plans taxable bonds for hockey arena. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;03/16/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30351, p1
Reports that Saint Paul, Minnesota may have to forgo a tax exemption on bonds for a hockey arena. Lease signed with the Minnesota Wild; Alleged violation of guidelines for an exemption from federal income taxes; Penalty faced by the city when it moves to convert its notes to long-term debt.
- The move to tax tax-exempts faces a showdown in Congress next year. Nagan, Peter S. // Banking;Sep72, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on the possible enactment of changes in the tax-exempt status of municipal bonds in the 1973 U.S. Congress. Problems from the growing volume of municipal securities; Factors that may influence the changes in tax-exempt status of municipal bonds; End of the stability in short-term...
- Groups lobby vs. tax-law changes. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;03/10/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30595, p36
Reports on municipal market participants' strengthening of their lobbying efforts against the Bill Clinton administration's tax proposals they fear would reduce demand for municipal bonds. House Ways and Means Committee's hearing on the revenue-raising provisions in the president's fiscal 2000...
- Price tag for 2001 muni exemptions put at $28.1 billion. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;02/08/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30824, p6
Reports on the fiscal 2001 budget proposed by United States President Bill Clinton. Revenue loss estimates for tax-exempt municipal bonds.
- IRS, recyclers wrangle over tax-exempt status. Duff, Susanna // Waste News;04/02/2001, Vol. 6 Issue 44, p1
Reports that the United States Internal Revenue Service has clamped down on tax-exempt municipal solid waste bonds issued to recyclers. Agency's claim that some recyclers will have to pay back taxes because the material they handle has value; Federal government's conduct of an audit of 40...
- Sen. Wyden Touts Tax-Credit Bonds, Hits Tax-Exemption for New Munis. TEMPLE-WEST, PATRICK // Bond Buyer;4/13/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33499, p5
The article reports on the opposition of Senator Ron Wyden on tax-exemptions for municipal bonds in Oregon.
- APPA: Do No Harm To Munis. DEPAUL, JENNIFER // Bond Buyer;8/21/2013, Vol. 385 Issue 33966, p1
The article focuses on a document sent to the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance's Energy, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Panel by the American Public Power Association to reconsider limits on the clean renewable energy bonds (CERBs) and to give tax exemption on municipal bonds.
- Village Center CDD Disagrees With IRS. Jagoda, Naomi // Bondbuyer.com;3/4/2015, p31
The article reports that the Village Center Community Development District in Florida disagrees with two notices from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that its recreational and utility bonds are taxable. IRS argues that the district cannot issue tax-exempt bonds because it is not a political...
- Commentary: Simplified Settlement Procedures for Issuers of 501(c)(3) Bonds. Greenwalt, Todd; Ozimek, Victoria; Teaff, Brian // Bond Buyer;1/14/2015, Issue 34242, p1
The Internal Revenue Service has announced a simplified process for issuers that have loaned proceeds of qualified 501(c)(3) bonds to borrowers that automatically lost their tax-exempt status for failing to file annual returns or notices for three consecutive years, but have subsequently...