Closure of Oklahoma Jail Could Spell Default for County
- New Mexico Town Issuing $76M for Privately Run Jail. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;9/18/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32468, p3
The article reports that the town of Clayton, New Mexico will issue $76 million of revenue bonds in a negotiated sale and use the proceeds to build a privately run jail that will house some 600 medium-security state prisoners. The bonds will be supported by a monthly facility fee paid to the...
- With Interest Rates Too Good to Pass Up, Tucson Opts to Retire Debt. Victory, Darren // Bond Buyer;10/17/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31245, p35
Reports the sale of general obligation and water system revenue bonds by Tucson in Dallas, Texas. Decision to opt outstanding debt; Issuance of water system refunding revenue bonds and general obligation refunding bonds; Rating of the bonds.
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;11/12/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31511, p29
Reports on developments related to bonds in the U.S. as of November 2002. Efforts of the officials of Saline County, Kansas to identify possible options for construction of a county jail; Increase in the state revenues of Arkansas in 2002 compared to 2001; Voters' approval of several million...
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Peacock, Wayne; Vekshin, Alison; Vadum, Matthew; McKaig, Ryan; McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;6/3/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31399, p39
Reports bonds development as of June 2002 in the U.S. Payment on annual debt service by the New Haven Coliseum Authority; Plan of Delaware Health Facilities Authority to issue tax-exempt revenue bonds; Indicators of the decreasing revenues of New York City.
- IIIinois Lifts Debt Capacity. SHIELDS, YVETTE // Bond Buyer;1/19/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33452, p1
The article reports on the raising of the bonding capacity for the capital projects of the lawmakers of Chicago, Illinois. It mentions that lawmakers lifted the capacity by 5 billion U.S. dollars and has required underwriters to reveal their credit-default swap positions on state debt. It also...
- MISSISSIPPI: Jail Bond Causes Stir. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;10/23/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 32988, p9
The article reports on the plan of Jackson County, Mississippi to seek voter approval to issue $22 million on general obligation (GO) bonds for a new jail. However, the opponents disagree about the location of the new jail, which is in the prominent area of the city. It states that the new jail...
- Overcrowded Jail Market Puts Counties at Risk, Experts Say. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/29/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31687, p30
Reports that an increasing trend of private jail construction designed to encourage economic development in Southwest region in the U.S. poses a risk for bondholders and counties in the region. Intentions behind building major jails in minor counties; Problems associated with jails built 35...
- Locked-In Deal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/16/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31720, p31
Reports on the approval of the Jefferson County Quorom Court on the issuance of the multi-million revenue bonds to finance the construction of several jail beds in New York.
- Oklahoma Jail's Woes Grow Along With Private Competition. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;8/13/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31698, p5
Reports on challenges posed by a private prison in Sayre, Oklahoma, which has fallen vacant, to another jail in Grady County, Oklahoma as of August 13, 2003. Reason why the North Fork Detention Facility in Sayre was closed; Revenue bonds on which the County is facing default.