Official: IRS rules for GICs, Escrows not intended for other investments
- Setting New Standards. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;8/27/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30714, p1
Reports on United States Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department's proposed regulations that would set one standard for guaranteed investment contracts and refunding escrows. Broker fees for investing muni bond proceeds; Provisions of tax codes for bond issuers.
- Working through Benefit-Responsive Investment Contract Guidelines. Massanova, Donna M. // Pennsylvania CPA Journal;Summer2008, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p1
The article discusses the move of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) to change the reporting of investment contracts in the financial statements of health and pension plans. According to the article, several conditions for the contract to be considered fully-benefit responsive...
- GICs: An old asset class solves new problems. Danco, Walter T.E.; Findlay, Harald B. // Employee Benefits Journal;Jun94, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p28
Focuses on the role of guaranteed investment contracts (GICs) in asset allocation for lifestyle funds. Replacing bonds with GICs in lifestyle funds; Planning for a diversified GIC fund.
- Stable value options needed in saving plans. Shigley, Klaus // Pensions & Investments;10/2/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 20, p12
Opinion. Asserts the usefulness of the guaranteed investment contracts towards greater equity allocations into retirement plans. Lack of savings as the bigger issue; Level of allocations to common stock in corporate defined contribution plans; Gallup survey on the investment in stable value...
- DM vendors talk the talk and walk the walk--and they guarantee their results. Burns, Joseph // Managed Healthcare;Aug97, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p18
Focuses on guaranteed savings programs offered by disease management vendors in the United States. Benefits on patients; Offering of a percentage of savings or will contract on a fee-for-service basis; Cost effectiveness of the programs; Disease conditions covered by the guaranteed savings...
- Synthetic GIC sales spurted in first half of 1993. Crosson, Cynthia // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/15/93, Vol. 97 Issue 46, p5
Reports on the sales performance of synthetic guaranteed investment contracts (GIC) and other GIC products in the first half of 1993. Provision of plan sponsor to underlying assets and book value wrap; Insurance companies' entry into the market.
- New York Bill could open GIC market to `single-A' cos. Crosson, Cynthia // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;4/11/94, Vol. 98 Issue 15, p1
Reports on the negotiation efforts by life insurers and financial guaranty companies to compromise over a New York bill that would open guaranteed investment contract market to A-rated companies. Reason for the need on the legislation; Opposition by Life Insurance Council of New York (LICONY);...
- N.Y. Dept. still firm against cos. issuing synthetic gics. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/20/94, Vol. 98 Issue 25, p2
Reports on the attitude of the New York state insurance department toward synthetic guaranteed investment contract (GIC). Problem from New York's perspective; Arguments for GICs; Vehicle for greater diversification; Reaction of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- GIC shifts noted in '93 sales totals. Connolly, Jim // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/11/94, Vol. 98 Issue 28, p3
Provides information on guaranteed investment contracts (GIC). Data from survey of Life Insurance Marketing and Research Association and GIC Association; 1993 percentage of increase in sales as compared with 1992; 1993 decline in GIC sales compared with 1992; Total general account GICs; Growth...