Countries ill-prepared for influenza pandemic
- Recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2000-2001 season. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;2/25/2000, Vol. 75 Issue 8, p61
Reports the recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2000-2001 according to the World Health Organization. Pattern of outbreaks; Kinds of influenza viruses; Analysis on the composition of influenza virus vaccines.
- Draft WHO Guidelines on the Use of Vaccines and Antivirals during Influenza Pandemics. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;11/22/2002, Vol. 77 Issue 47, p384
Presents the World Health Organization's draft guidelines on the use of vaccines and antivirals during influenza pandemics. Establishment of goals and priorities; Maintenance of essential services; Prevention or reduction deaths and hospital admissions.
- The Dilemma of Influenza Vaccine Recommendations when Applied to the Tropics: The Brazilian Case Examined Under Alternative Scenarios. de Mello, Wyller Alencar; de Paiva, Terezinha Maria; Ishida, Maria Akiko; Benega, Margarete Aparecida; dos Santos, Mirleide Cordeiro; Viboud, Cécile; Miller, Mark A.; Alonso, Wladimir J. // PLoS ONE;2009, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p1
Since 1999 the World Health Organization issues annually an additional influenza vaccine composition recommendation. This initiative aimed to extend to the Southern Hemisphere (SH) the benefits-previously enjoyed only by the Northern Hemisphere (NH)-of a vaccine recommendation issued as close as...
- Efficacy of the flu vaccine. Newson, Louise // GP: General Practitioner;11/3/2006, p43
The article offers information on the efficacy of the flu vaccine. The outbreak of influenza, caused by influenza A or B virus, usually occurs during the winter. Around 3,000 to 4,000 people die each year in Great Britain from influenza-related causes. The World Health Organization recommends to...
- Influenza vaccines. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;11/26/99, Vol. 74 Issue 47, p408
Focuses on the recommendation of World Health Organization on the composition of influenza vaccines for use in 2000 in the southern hemisphere. Validity of the recommendation; Inclusion of H3N2 component in vaccines; Availability of vaccine with H3N2 component for the southern hemisphere.
- WHO announces 1996-97 flu vaccine formula. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun96, Vol. 111 Issue 3, p187
Reports on international experts' announcement of a new composition of the influenza vaccine for the 1996 to 1997 season during a meeting at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. Formula for the vaccine recommended by WHO; Areas affected by influenza epidemics...
- WHO announces flu vaccine formula for 1998-1999. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun98, Vol. 113 Issue 3, p193
Reports that the World Health Organization (WHO) has made changes to the flu vaccine formulas for 1998-1999. Information on the changes that were made; Reason for the changes; Details on the influenza virus; Indication of the three types of the virus; How the vaccine is administered;...
- WHO recommends ingredients of next season's influenza vaccine. // Nation's Health;Apr95, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p14
Announces World Health Organization (WHO) recommendation for a new composition of the influenza vaccine for 1995-1996 season with two components changed from 1994. Preventive measures of vaccine's use suggested in some person; Countries' participation in the latest WHO formulation; Contact points.
- Addendum to the recommended composition of influenza virus vaccines for use in the 2003-2004 influenza season. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;3/14/2003, Vol. 78 Issue 11, p77
Reports on the recommendation of the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) on the composition of influenza virus vaccines to be used for 2003-2004 influenza season. Factors leading to the recommendation for the use of vaccine which contains A/Moscow/10/99 (H3N2)-like virus for the...