Pittsburgh Council Approves Tax Package
- Staying alive. Day, Karen // Public Finance;2/6/2004, p4
Reports on the council tax warning letters issued by the Office of the Deputy of Prime Minister (ODPM) in Great Britain. Efforts of the ODPM to maintain the sustainability of council tax; Percentage of council tax increase that will be examined and capped.
- Scots settlement won't avert tax rises. Scott, David // Public Finance;12/17/2004-1/6/2005, p11
Reports that council leaders in Scotland have warned that the Executive's funding settlement for local government will not be enough to prevent substantial council tax rises over the next three years. Increase forecasted for 2005/06; Councils required to produce indicative council tax figures...
- Tax cap threat to errant councils. Meilton, David // Public Finance;4/2/2004, p15
Reports on whether any councils will be capped, after unveiling the lowest average council tax rise for several years in Great Britain. Average rise in Band D properties; Formation of a team to ensure that any intervention is legal.
- Power Line Struggle. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/30/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32019, p55
The article reports on political reactions over general obligation bond in Dallas, Texas. Voters in the Dallas suburb of Colleyvilie will decide February 5, 2004 on a $34.5 million general obligation bond package that includes $13.7 million for burying utility lines along Texas Hwy. 26. City...
- Chicago City Council OKs Mayor's $5.1 Billion Budget for 2005. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;12/16/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32031, p3
The article gives information about the Chicago City Council, which has approved a $5.1 billion budget for 2005 that dips into proceeds of the city's $1.8 billion privatization of the Chicago Skyway toll road and raises the city's sales tax along with a handful of other taxes and fees to wipe...
- Lawton Talks Tax Hike. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;11/7/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32503, p33
The article reports on the proposal of Lawton City Council to increase the city's sales tax by an undetermined amount in Oklahoma. Here, the city of Oklahoma is considering a quarter-cent sales tax that would bring in $2.5 million a year for two to three years and a half-cent sales tax to bring...
- Malakoff council approves new budget. // Malakoff News (TX);10/6/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 40, p1A
The article reports that the city council of Malakoff in Texas has consented to a $1.027 million budget for the next fiscal year. The budget is lower than the budget of $1.096 million in the previous year. A tax rate of .234806 per $100 has been given the go signal to finance the budget, which...
- N. Y. C. Council Proposes 2005 Budget. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;3/30/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31852, p2
Focuses on the New York City Council's proposed budget for fiscal year 2005.
- Stop whining, councils told. Russell, Vivienne // Public Finance;12/17/2004-1/6/2005, p10
Reports that British local government minister Nick Raynsford has asked councils to stop complaining and instead make a low tax rise as their New Year's resolution. Speech before the Local Government Association's finance conference; Assertion by Raynsford that the government had delivered the...