Guineas, chickens and the persistent setting pullet
- Experimenting with chickens. Ovefelt, Willene // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 89 Issue 1, p78
Explores a system used in finding best chicken meat and egg layers. Effect of commercial feed on chickens; Breeds of chicken a breeder can experiment with; Mystery in setting hens.
- The Effect of Disinfection of Hatching Eggs on Hatchability of Oravka Chickens. Hrnčár, Cyril; Prachárová, Simona; Bujko, Jozef // Scientific Papers: Animal Science & Biotechnologies / Lucrari St;Dec2012, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p411
The aim of this the work was evaluated effect of disinfection of Oravka hatching eggs by formalin gas (20 g KMnO4 + 30 g formaldehyde of 40 % concentration to 1 mÂ³ of a space) and ozone (0.450 ppm in time 12 hours) on fertility, hatchability, spontaneity of chickens hatching and embryonal...
- GENETIC STUDY OF EGG AND HATCH WEIGHT IN DIFFERENT GENETIC GROUPS OF CHICKEN. Singh, Gita; Singh, S. K.; Kumar, Basant; Kumar, Hemant // Indian Journal of Animal Research;Sep2009, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p200
Present investigation was carried out on a total of 1082 chicken belonging to seven genetic groups viz. Assel (638), Kadaknath (755), desi (54), Black Australorp (603), the crosses of desi with other recognized breeds as Rhode Island Red (42), Black Australorp (62) and Assel (62). For that...
- The effect of egg weight on the hatchability and growth performance of New Hampshire and Rhode Island Red chicks. De Witt, F.; Schwalbach, L. M. J. // South African Journal of Animal Science;2004, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p62
A trial was conducted to determine the effect of egg-weight on the hatchability and growth performance of chickens. Large and medium eggs of New Hampshire (NH) and Rhode Island Red (RIR) hens were grouped in four categories, according to their weight and breed. Twenty-seven eggs from each group...
- Our experiences with broody hens. Mullen, Jeanne // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;May/Jun99, Vol. 83 Issue 3, p87
Provides information on how to raise broody hens. Features of Araucanas; Flavor quality of rooster meat; Recommended place for hens to brood its eggs; Advantages of fresh grass to hens; Advice on the use of a bantam for hatching eggs; Advantages of sprouted wheat for feeding hens.
- Frequency of different shell color and its effect on the fertility and hatchability in Black rock, Gramapriya and Vanaraja breeds of chicken. Kumar, Abhay; Das, Keshab; Mukherjee, K.; Bharti, A.; Singh, A. K. // Veterinary World;Oct2012, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p594
Aim: A study was undertaken to assess the effect of shell color on the fertility and hatchability in three different breeds of chicken viz, Black Rock, Gramapriya and Vanaraja maintained at Government Poultry Farm, Durg (Chhattisgarh). Materials and Methods: A total of 180 eggs from each breed...
- Rearer's role is crucial to a good pullet. // Poultry World;Mar2006, Vol. 160 Issue 3, p22
The article considers the influence of pullet rearing on poultry productivity. Pullet rearing is recognized as a crucial part of the production chain and has a significant effect on profitability. To get the best out of the system, poultry producers and rearers need to work closely together...
- Repeatability of Egg Number and Egg Weight in Two Strains of Layer Type Chicken. Udeh, I. // International Journal of Poultry Science;2010, Vol. 9 Issue 7, p675
The daily egg production records obtained from two strains of layer type chicken for a period of 16 weeks were used to estimate the repeatability of egg number and egg weight in this population. There were 50 pullets for each strain. The pullets were housed in single bird cages and monitored for...
- Rearing for a new generation. Cruickshank, Graham // Poultry World;Aug2005, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p47
Features Michael and Carole Hodgkins, specialist pullet breeders in Great Britain. Services provided by Hodgkins to their customers; Breeds of chicken being reared by the couple; Approach used by Michael in rearing chicken.