FCC Pushes DBS Powers Out of Auction
- At the Portals:. // CableFAX Daily;7/18/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 137, p2
The article reports on the failure of cable television to have the U.S. Federal Communications Commission charge direct broadcast satellite (DBS) the same regulatory fees that cable pays. Cable pays fees on a per sub basis, about $50mln in 2006, while EchoStar and DirecTV pay $2mln annually...
- BIDDING FOR TIME. Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;10/8/2002, Vol. 277 Issue 2, p1
Reports on the EchoStar's request with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a public hearing of its direct satcast service merger with DirecTV. EchoStar's offer to make major revisions to the terms of the proposed deal; EchoStar's request for the FCC to delay making a decision...
- FCC Raises Cable Payments 7%. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;4/3/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 14, p63
Reports on a plan by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to increase cable regulatory fees by 7% for fiscal year 2006. Expectations of the FCC on the amount to be paid by direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp.; Public comment being...
- The glitter of DBS gold. Hancock, Amy E. // Satellite Communications;Apr2000, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p22
Looks at the transformation underwent by direct broadcast satellite industry. Information on EchoStar's OpenTV software; Service offered by DirecTV on the emerging information-on-demand market; Total number of satellite subscribers.
- EchoStar slaps DirecTv with suit. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;02/07/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p1
Reports on EchoStar's filing of an antitrust lawsuit against DirecTv on allegations that DirecTv conspired with manufacturing partners Thomson MultiMedia and Hughes Network Systems to monopolize distribution of direct-broadcast satellite systems. EchoStar's claim that DirecTv forced retailers...
- DBS eyes record sales in 2000. Hogan // Multichannel News;01/03/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p1
Reports on developments related to the direct-broadcast satellite television industry in the United States as of January 3, 2000. Number of subscribers acquired by satellite television firms DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. in the year 1999; Companies' subscriber recruitment plans...
- DBS firms increase Latino marketing push. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;01/24/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p24
Highlights the plans of direct-broadcast satellite providers DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. to promote satellite services targeting Hispanic-American households. Launch of campaign backed by radio and print advertisements; Additional markets of DirecTV Para Todos service.
- DBS Adds More Programming Packages. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;04/03/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 14, p6
Reports on developments related to satellite television industry in the United States as of April 3, 2000. EchoStar Communications' launch of its programming packages; DirecTV's programming announcements.
- What If EchoStar Bought DirecTV? Schaeffler, Jimmy // Multichannel News;7/30/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 31, p54
Deals with pros and cons of EchoStar Communications Corp.'s purchase of DirecTV. Best argument for a unified digital broadcast satellite spectrum in the United States; Improved efficiencies in uplink and subscriber management centers; Antitrust implication.