Human Failings Helped Bring Orange County's Fall, Panelists Say
- When It Comes to Bankruptcy, One Size Doesn't Fit All. Palmer, Deryck // Bond Buyer;6/27/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33539, p28
In this article the author discusses the issues concerning bankruptcy of municipal bonds in the U.S. He mentions that municipal executives should consider to download a copy of Vallejo's filing and conduct a quick search-and-replace on the names and numbers that lead to two significant lessons...
- Strong State Oversight Seen as Preventing Atlantic City Bankruptcy. Coen, Andrew // Bondbuyer.com;8/26/2015, p1
New Jersey's long track record of "strong state oversight" has thus far helped avoid struggling Atlantic City from filing for bankruptcy, according to a new report from Pew Charitable Trusts.
- Orange County vs. Enron. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;12/8/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32025, p1
The article focuses on the Orange County, California financial disaster which is considered the Enron of the municipal market. Some securities law experts and market participants are drawing that comparison 10 years after the county's December 6, 1994, bankruptcy filing. Others are wary of...
- Risky Business. Mitchell, Donna // Financial Planning;Mar2011, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p41
The article reports that as of March 2011, no state can declare bankruptcy, and explains how such relates to municipal (muni) bonds. It states that these used to be favored by investors despite their low yields since the risks were equally low. In light of the financial crisis, however, which...
- A Market Slowdown. Resnick, Amy // Governing;Dec2008, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p50
The article reports that there is market slowdown in Wall Street with municipal bond issuers borrowing just $19.4 billion in October, which makes it the quietest month of 2008. It states that the issuance in the first half of October was impacted by the struggle of the financial market to cope...
- Bankruptcy's Tall Tales. Harkness, Peter A. // Governing;May2011, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p16
The article analyses the apprehension and insecurity among investors related to investments in municipal bonds in the wake of rumors of state bankruptcies as envisaged by analysts and politicians in the U.S. It examines reasons for such beliefs including issues related to public and private...
- Munis Among Baird's Top Picks. Albano, Christine // Bond Buyer;1/17/2014, Vol. 123 Issue F303, p1
The article reports that the financial services firm Robert W. Baird & Co. has outweighs the U.S. municipal bonds after a year of volatility and uncertainty. Topics discussed include are the views of firm's senior vice-president B. Craig Elder on opportunities in municipal bonds in 2014, the...
- Rating on Wayne County Unchanged Despite Financial Emergency. Devitt, Caitlin // Bondbuyer.com;7/23/2015, p1
Standard & Poor's said Thursday that its junk ratings on Wayne County, Mich. will remain unchanged for now despite the declaration of a financial emergency.
- State Woes Shouldn't Hurt Debt Issuance, Survey Says. Temple-West, Patrick // Bond Buyer;3/3/2010, Vol. 371 Issue 33275, p5
The article reports on the implications of states' financial crisis to the municipal bond market and total issuance in 2010 in the U.S.