Stop, Hey, What's That Sound
- the sound of DVD: 5.1 MIXING OPINIONS part 1. Waldrep, Mark // EMedia Magazine;Apr2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p37
Part I. Deals with the challenges in enabling a digital video disc-based digital system to reproduce 5.1-channel surround sound. Requirements of multichannel music delivery; Guide for arranging speakers; Project of AIX Media Group.
- THE MAKING OF A DVD-AUDIO TITLE. Waldrep, Mark // EMedia Magazine;Apr2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p30
Details the digital video disc (DVD)-audio recording of New Jersey Symphony Orchestra's performance of Ludwig van Beethoven's `6th Symphony' and Ottorino Respighi's `Pines of Rome.' Recording equipment used; Background on high-resolution recording; Planning stages; Implications for other...
- Fostex PD-6. Petersen, George // Mix;Oct2002, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p166
Features the PD-6 DVD Audio Recorder from Fostex in California. Product design; Functions and usages; Quality of the product.
- DVD POV. Walsh, Christopher // Billboard;03/31/2001, Vol. 113 Issue 13, p60
Discusses expectations for DVD Audio in 2001. How record labels are preparing to release albums on DVD Audio; Expectation that the technology could replace compact discs; Thoughts on the sound quality of DVD Audio.
- The Magic Number For DVD Players Is 8. Arquette, Brett // PC Week;07/05/99, Vol. 16 Issue 27, p63
Suggests that digital video disc (DVD) recorders should be able to record a minimum of eight hours per DVD. Suggested use of DVD players in a courtroom; Benefit of having a track for text or annotation and a keyboard; Suggested combination of the technology with audio mining.
- Seeing The Future, Engineer Forges Ahead With 5.1 Mixing. Walsh, Christopher // Billboard;03/17/2001, Vol. 113 Issue 11, p44
Discusses the popularity of the 5.1 recording studio mixing format. Benefits of the DVD Audio format; Compatibility of the 5.1 format with many music genres; Comments of New York sound engineer Mark Partis.
- Alice In Chains DVD Inspires Innovative Surround Work. Walsh, Christopher // Billboard;04/07/2001, Vol. 113 Issue 14, p65
Reports on engineer Toby Wright's efforts to create a DVD Video compilation of rock group Alice in Chains music. Use of surround sound for the DVD; Discussion of the process of gathering the recordings of the band to be remixed; Responses to the surround sound.
- A Visit To Bob Ludwig's Audio And Multimedia Gateway. Verna, Paul // Billboard;01/30/99, Vol. 111 Issue 5, p40
Presents brief articles pertaining to the professional audio industry as of January 30, 1999. Description of the author's visit to Bob Ludwig's Gateway Mastering Studio; Staff of the studio which the author met; The 24-bit, 96-kilohertz-encoded stereo tracks from recent digital video disc (DVD)...
- Pricey SACD Aimed At `Audiophile' Mkt. McClure, Steve; Fitzpatrick, Eileen; Verna, Paul // Billboard;04/17/99, Vol. 111 Issue 16, p1
Focuses on plans of Sony Corp. to launch its Super Audio CD (SACD) format in Japan. Views of sound recording executives on a possible clash with the digital versatile disc (DVD) audio format; Scheduled release; Anticipation and concerns of retailers.
- Audio Engineers Trumpet Surround-Sound Format. Walsh, Christopher // Billboard;10/07/2000, Vol. 112 Issue 41, p8
Reports on the 109th Audio Engineering Society (AES) Convention. Focus on surround sound technology; Mention of digital-audio workstations, including Digidesign's Pro Tools; Plans for the release of Digital Video Disc (DVD) Audio discs.