S&P gives Detroit public schools rating boost to investment grade
- Detroit schools taken over. // American School & University;May99, Vol. 71 Issue 9, p3
Focuses on the reform legislation of the school system of Detroit, Michigan. Number of appointed board member by Mayor Dennis Archer; Role of Michigan Governor John Engler; First task of the school board.
- Detroit district stumps for $1.5 billion bond issue. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;10/26/94, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p6
Reports on the plans of Detroit, Michigan's school district to use the billion bond issue for its school renovation and construction projects. Reason for the withheld support for the bond issue by the Detroit Federation of Teachers, Detroit Chamber of Commerce and Mayor Dennis Archer; Insight...
- Detroit's schools need a lesson plan. // Crain's Detroit Business;02/01/99, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p8
Comments on the need for Mayor Dennis Archer to implement policies to improve the quality of public schools in Detroit, Michigan. Reliance of the city's economic future on the quality of employees educated at the schools.
- Engler, Archer should be partners, not partisans. Crain, Keith // Crain's Detroit Business;1/15/96, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p6
Opinion. Comments on the effect of partisan politics on the effectiveness of Michigan Governor John Engler's and Mayor Dennis Archer's leadership. Similar qualities of the two politicians; Beneficial effects of inter-party cooperation.
- Archer's support key to ok of ren zones. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;3/18/96, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p3
Reports that in Detroit, Michigan, Mayor Dennis Archer is the one who can encourage votes in support of Governor John Engler's renaissance-zone proposal, which relates to taxation reform. Why Engler's administration is relying on Archer; What the administration is prepared to do; Remarks from...
- A painful plan to save Detroit's sorry schools. Wildavsky, Ben // U.S. News & World Report;03/15/99, Vol. 126 Issue 10, p30
Discusses plans to reform public education in Detroit, Michigan. Plan by Michigan Governor John Engler; Role of Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer; Controversy about how to improve the schools dividing the black community; Engler's emphasis on education during his term; Engler's relations with...
- Detroit Mayor gets control of schools; will appoint board. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;03/29/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30608, p36
Reports on Michigan Governor John Engler's signing of a legislation transferring control of the Detroit Public Schools district to Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer. Importance of the legislation to the school district's efforts to improve its finances; Authority given to Archer in replacing the...
- Schools' Poor Showing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/31/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31853, p43
Reports that the Standard & Poor's Corp. has downgrade the general obligation rating of the Minneapolis Public Schools. Outstanding debt of the school district; Inability of the state to regain structural balance in its budget; Efforts to control spending and regain financial stability.
- Archer or no, biz wants school rehab. Mercer, Tenisha // Crain's Detroit Business;02/01/99, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p32
Focuses on the campaign by businesses in Detroit, Michigan to reform public schools in the city. Emphasis on moving the reform's dependence away from Mayor Dennis Archer's administration; Comments from business leaders.