A Seller's Market
- LEADER, REFINED. Allegretti, Lisa // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p56
Highlights the award given to Rick Haase, the 2004 Volunteer Chief of the Year awardee in the U.S. Career background; Manpower training strategies; Contributions to the vitality of the department. INSET: HIGH PRAISES.
- Putting the "WOW" back in education. Specken, Dale // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p12
The article offers the author's insights on the conference of the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA) in Rochester, Minnesota from October 17-17, 2013. He says that the committee of MSFCA offers opportunity by setting up classes that will help fire chiefs to learn new skills, improve...
- FIRIN' advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p9
Offers pieces of advice for fire chief-related problems. Advice on rewarding hard-working fire fighting volunteers; Views on the decision of one's city to hire a full-time fire chief.
- THE ULTIMATE MULTI -TASKER. Bischoff, Glenn // Fire Chief;Sep2010, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p26
The article offers information on fire chief Tim Wall of the North Farms Volunteer Fire Department in Wallingford, Connecticut. It says that Wall was awarded by Fire Chief as its 2010 volunteer chief of the year because of his outstanding performance as fire chief. It mentions the belief of Wall...
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Fire Chief -- Ross Valley Fire Department (San Anselmo, Calif.). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;10/ 2/2013, p1
The article announces that the Ross Valley Fire Department Board of Directors is conducting a national search for a committed fire professional to serve as the next Fire Chief to supervise a staff of 32 firefighters and 15 volunteers with an operating budget of 8,347,188 U.S. dollars annually.
- How to get the right person for the right job. Sells, Peter // Fire Engineering;Jan1999, Vol. 152 Issue 1, p62
Gives advice on hiring qualified people in the fire department. Establishment of the job description, which applicants are expected to meet; Assessment of the candidates based on required competencies; Conduction of an information session; Interview panel assembly; Conduction of interviews;...
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...