Alarm-Processing Times Still Need More Study
- Blazin' Fire Board. Hurr, Gretchen; Specken, Dale; Kapler, Dean; Farmer, Tim; Scheerer, Marty; Esbensen, George F. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p9
The article offers information on the policy of various fire departments in Minnesota on multiple false alarm calls. The Plymouth Fire Department charges $100 for the first false alarm, and subsequent false alarms are charged more. Dale Specken, chief of the Hopkins Fire Department, emphasizes...
- NEW DELIVERIES. // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p138
Presents updates on equipment deliveries in various fire departments in the United States compiled for November 2004. Bronto Skylift delivered for the University City Fire Department in Missouri; Rescue trailer delivered at the Kessler Air Force Fire Department in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- What Happens When Fire Companies Feud? Stittleburg, Philip // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p26
Explains the consequences of instances when fire companies in the United States are involved in inter-departmental conflicts. Loss of the morale of the departments; Loss of stature in the community; Decrease in response effectiveness.
- FOAM BUYER, BEWARE! Sachen, John // Fire Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p188
Features extinguishing and mitigating agents for fire prevention. Use of surfactants to reduce brush marks, in lubricants to coat bearing surfaces; Flotation of low-density hydrocarbons in water; Addition of special surfactants in aqueous films.
- FIRE PREVENTION PROGRAM MEETS STATE'S CURRICULUM STANDARDS. Magin, Kevin A. // Fire Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p192
Introduces a fire safety program offered by the Fire Prevention & Life Safety Office in the U.S. Goal of creating and presenting fire prevention stories to second-grade students in schools; Topics discussed; Lessons to be learned from the program.
- ULTRAFINE WATER MIST FIRE SUPPRESSION TECHNOLOGY. Adiga, K. C. // Fire Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p197
Looks into the ultrafine water mist fire suppression technology for fire prevention. Accuracy of the overall trend predicted by the computational fluid dynamics model; Generation of a medium-scale fire using a volumetric heat-generation source term within a specified region located at the center...
- Property Developments Countrywide Straining Fire Fighting Services, Chiefs Say. // Insurance Advocate;10/6/2003, Vol. 114 Issue 37, p30
Reports that majority of fire departments in the United States are having problems protecting the communities due to residential and commercial growth. Factors that hinder fire departments' efforts to improve communities' fire-protection services; Efforts exerted by authorities to address the...
- FDC 2005 Conference Highlights. // Fire Engineering;Jul2005, Vol. 158 Issue 7, p101
Highlights the Fire Department Instructor's Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana on April 2005. Number of attendees; Speakers; Activities.
- FIRE LOSS REDUCTION: FIRE DETECTORS VS. FIRE STATIONS. Halpern, Jonathan // Management Science;Nov79, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p1082
This paper develops a method for comparing the cost effectiveness of two ways of improving the fire protection in a community: the installation of detection-alarm systems (DAS) in dwellings and the addition of fire companies. The method is developed from a number of relatively simple models and...