- GIFT HORSES. Colletti, Dominic // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p44
Looks into how to organize a coordinated aggressive interior fire attack for your fire department in the U.S. Questions to ask on the issue of acquiring a suitable structure; Reasons why the fire department should use an acquired structure; Difficulty of some fire officers to justify the...
- PRIDE AND OWNERSHIP: THE LOVE FOR THE JOB CEREMONIES THAT STOKE THE FLAMES OF TRADITION. Lasky, Rick // Fire Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p105
Discusses the ceremonies in the U.S. fire service. Promotion of firefighters; Extension of congratulations to a member who is about to retire from the service; Recognition for a job well done.
- QUICK TIPS. Grube, Marin C. // Fire Engineering;Jan2005, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p16
Discusses ideas for developing and perfecting the pre-planning, improvisation, and routine skills of firefighters. Importance of looking for abandoned and dilapidated buildings in the area assigned; Responsibility of a property owner to maintain a safe structure; Discussion of a way to reduce...
- Critical Condition. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Jul2004, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p6
Editorial. Reports on firefighter fatalities in the U.S. Crash fatalities; Need for fire department to follow rules of safety.
- DEVELOPING A CULTURE OF SAFETY. Shelley, Craig H.; Cole, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Nov2004, Vol. 157 Issue 11, p114
This article discusses various issues related to safety for fire fighters in the U.S. The article authors hold that safety must become a of life, and must be incorporated into on-duty and off-duty activities of fire fighters. The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation held a summit of fire...
- Commitment Issues. Cade, Gregory B. // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p40
Looks into the risks involved in being a firefighter in the U.S. Process of recruiting and training new members of the fire department; Recognition of the importance of investing in the welfare of the firefighters; Advantages of training new recruits.
- Heroes of the Flames: Firefighters. Orr, Tamra B. // Career World;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the aspects of becoming a firefighter. Skills and traits that firefighters should possess; Minimum qualifications of the profession; Rewards from becoming a firefighter.
- It's All in the Pitch. WILMOTH, JANET // Fire Chief;Feb2011, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p6
The article presents the author's views on fire chiefs with specific reference to their salesmanship skills. The author argues that some level of salesmanship is required for a chief as he might speak to city managers, politicians, community and fire-department personnel. It is stated that a...
- Me and my job. // SC Magazine: For IT Security Professionals;Aug2005, p17
Presents an interview of Garry Griffin, group manager of Buckinghamshire Fire Service, regarding his occupation. Career background; Advantage and disadvantage of working in fire service; Career influences.