DHS Makes Vehicle Safety a Priority
- GIFT HORSES. Colletti, Dominic // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p44
Looks into how to organize a coordinated aggressive interior fire attack for your fire department in the U.S. Questions to ask on the issue of acquiring a suitable structure; Reasons why the fire department should use an acquired structure; Difficulty of some fire officers to justify the...
- 111 Firefighters Dead in 2003. // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p14
Reports on the number of dead and injured fire-fighters in the United States according to the 2003 statistics released by the Dept. of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response. Details of the circumstances surrounding each case included in the report; Number of multiple-fatality...
- DEVELOPING A CULTURE OF SAFETY. Shelley, Craig H.; Cole, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Nov2004, Vol. 157 Issue 11, p114
This article discusses various issues related to safety for fire fighters in the U.S. The article authors hold that safety must become a of life, and must be incorporated into on-duty and off-duty activities of fire fighters. The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation held a summit of fire...
- Commitment Issues. Cade, Gregory B. // Fire Chief;Apr2005, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p40
Looks into the risks involved in being a firefighter in the U.S. Process of recruiting and training new members of the fire department; Recognition of the importance of investing in the welfare of the firefighters; Advantages of training new recruits.
- Heroes of the Flames: Firefighters. Orr, Tamra B. // Career World;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the aspects of becoming a firefighter. Skills and traits that firefighters should possess; Minimum qualifications of the profession; Rewards from becoming a firefighter.
- Lessons Learned the Hard Way. RIELAGE, ROBERT R. // Fire Chief;Apr2010, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p18
The article highlights the courage and strength shown by the Colerain Township Department of Fire and EMS in Ohio in order to go the extra mile in examining every phase of the Squirrelsnest Lane fire. The author relates his conversation with Colerain's Fire Chief G. Bruce Smith regarding the...
- It's All in the Pitch. WILMOTH, JANET // Fire Chief;Feb2011, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p6
The article presents the author's views on fire chiefs with specific reference to their salesmanship skills. The author argues that some level of salesmanship is required for a chief as he might speak to city managers, politicians, community and fire-department personnel. It is stated that a...
- Rapid Intervention Alternatives. MUNSON JR., KEVIN W.; OATES, JOHN H. // Fire Engineering;Apr2009, Vol. 162 Issue 4, p30
The article discusses the rapid intervention team (RIT) skills which aimed to enhance the training and provide an alternative to the labor-intensive skills being performed by fire fighters. The skills provided a four-person RIT crew with an alternative method for downed fire-fighter removal....
- FIREFIGHTER BRAD BOLEN. Dittus, Jami // Careers & Colleges;Jan/Feb2004, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p20
Profiles firefighter Brad Bolen, crew supervisor at the Bureau of Land Management. Educational background; Annual salary of firefighters; Challenges faced by Bolen in his job.