Maryland, Virginia Seen Rejecting Sales Tax Hike for Transit
- Beating the Estimate. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/15/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31863, p29
Reports total revenue collections in Tennessee as of March 2004. Growth in revenue; Increase in sales tax collections.
- Atlanta Weighs Sales-Tax Hike on July Ballot for Water and Sewer Improvements. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;4/29/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31873, p3
Reports on the balloting for the proposed one-cent sales tax in Atlanta, Georgia. Uses of the proposed sales tax; Governor Sonny Perdue's signing into law legislation allowing Atlanta and the city of Columbus to put their requests for the increase before voters. Option of Fulton County of...
- MECHANISMS FOR EXPORTING THE STATE SALES TAX BURDEN IN THE ABSENCE OF FEDERAL DEDUCTIBILITY. Pollock, Stephen H. // National Tax Journal;Sep91, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p297
This article discusses the two main sources of exporting of the sales tax in the absence of federal deductibility in the U.S. The first is out-of-sate residents purchasing taxable goods and services while visiting Connecticut. These direct purchases are part of the non-business component of the...
- ECONOMIC CHANGE AND THE EVOLVING STATE TAX STRUCTURE: THE CASE OF THE SALES TAX. Duncombe, William // National Tax Journal;Sep92, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p299
This article focuses on how state governments cope with major changes in their fiscal environment, including tax and expenditure limitations, declining federal aid, and changes in federal tax policy in the U.S. There were significant socio-economic changes and major tax policy initiatives by...
- The Use-Tax Man Cometh. // Catalog Age;Aug2003, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p56
Focuses on use taxes issues related to catalogers in Washington. Reasons cited for these bundled taxes; Implications of these taxes for catalogers; Objectives of implementing Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement. INSET: What's It Worth?.
- Sales Tax Treatment of Internet Commerce. Kofinas, Chaim V. // CPA Journal;Jan2004, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p40
Provides information on the advisory opinion TSB-A-03 (5)S issued by the state of New York regarding the sales tax treatment of Internet commerce. Function of TSB-A-03 (5)S; Disadvantages of the advisory opinion.
- Refund deadline reminder issued. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;9/1/2008, Vol. 18 Issue 15, p7
The article focuses on a reminder for taxpayers on the deadline for filing a claim for a partial refund of local sales tax paid on purchases made on or after October 1, 2005. Taxpayers are given three years to file the claim. It relates the role of North Dakota's decision to join the Streamlined...
- The experts all want a sales tax. Steel, Kevin // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;10/26/98, Vol. 25 Issue 45, p9
Reports on the Tax Review Committee that is examining the merits of proposed reforms in Alberta's taxation. Alberta being the only Canadian province without a general sales tax; A survey by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) on the acceptability of a sales tax; CTF Alberta director Mark...
- Bi-State Compromise. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;6/2/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31896, p35
Reports on the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce's endorsement of a compromise bi-state tax proposal seeking a sales tax in Missouri. Plans to use the sales tax to raise funds for sports and arts venues.