TITLE

Leeway found in Wal-Mart's RFID mandate

AUTHOR(S)
Bednarz, Ann
PUB. DATE
November 2004
SOURCE
Network World;11/29/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 48, p14
SOURCE TYPE
Trade Publication
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
This article focuses on the condition of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s mandate for its suppliers to implement radio frequency identification (RFID) tags by 2005. According to ABI Research, only about 30 percent of the company's top 100 suppliers will have accomplished full-scale RFID implementations by January 2005. The remaining 70 percent have only been testing the effectiveness of the shallow slap-and-ship efforts. Slap-and-ship refers to adding RFID tags at the distribution center, simply to meet retailer requirements as opposed to integrating RFID technology early in the manufacturing processes.
ACCESSION #
15217729

 

Related Articles

  • MEASURING THE IMPACT OF RFID ON OUT OF STOCKS AT WAL-MART. Hardgrave, Bill C.; Langford, Simon; Waller, Matthew; Miller, Robert // MIS Quarterly Executive;2008, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p181 

    Interest in, and subsequent use of, passive radio frequency identification (RFID) in the retail supply chain has grown rapidly in the past few years. Several major retailers have launched RFID initiatives, with Wal-Mart leading the way both in the number of deployments (stores and distribution...

  • Cheap tickets vs. privacy. Ford, Tracy // RCR Wireless News;5/17/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 20, p10 

    Deals with the concerns of privacy advocates toward radio frequency identification systems (RFID) chips that can be used to scan inventory. Claim of privacy advocates on companies like Wal-Mart; Promise made by RFID advocates for chip readers; Advice for industry and privacy advocates.

  • BUILDING a better business case. Mark, Ken // Canadian Transportation & Logistics;Feb2005, Vol. 108 Issue 2, p16 

    Discusses the investment cost involved in the installation of radio frequency identification (RFID) tags. Business objective of North American suppliers in implementing Wal-Mart's RFID tags; Wal-Mart's implementation strategy; President of R. Moroz Ltd. Bob Moroz's advice to businesses on...

  • RFID Technology Gains Speed With Wal-Mart Mandate. Meyer, Tedra // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;10/13/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 21, p18 

    Reports on an appeal by Wal-Mart for its suppliers to have radio frequency identification (RFID) tags attached to all cases and pallets by January 1, 2005. Definition of RFID; Statement issued by Wal-Mart spokesman Tom Williams; Impact of Wal-Mart's mandate on consumer package goods...

  • Much Work Remains in Consumers' RFID Education. Scheraga, Dan // Chain Store Age;Jul2004, Vol. 80 Issue 7, p50 

    Focuses on the radio frequency identification (RFID) technology. Commentary issued by columnist Lenore Skenazy to an RFID reader; Plan of Wal-Mart to implement RFID technology; Use of the RFID tags.

  • Protesters criticize RFID use at Wal-Mart as tags gain followers. Morse, Joni // RCR Wireless News;10/31/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p14 

    The article details the reaction of privacy advocates to the implementation of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology into the supply-chain management of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. More than 70 Texans gathered to protest the company's use of RFID technology. But Wal-Mart has repeatedly...

  • New Wal-Mart CIO Committed To RFID.  // Food Logistics;4/15/2006, Issue 85, p8 

    The article discusses the use of radio frequency identification (RFID) at Wal-Mart. This trend will continue unabated under Rollin Ford, Wal-Mart's new executive vice president and chief information officer. Ford, who previously served as the company's executive vice president of logistics and...

  • RFID In A Box. Purdum, Traci // Industry Week/IW;Dec2003, Vol. 252 Issue 12, p40 

    Deals with the partnership between retailer Wal-Mart and Manhattan Associates, where Manhattan designed RFID in a Box, a radio frequency identification (RFID) solution that eliminates the retailer's use of barcodes. Composition of the RFID technology; Companies that participated in the project.

  • Kodak Catches a New Wave.  // Contract Management;Sep2004, Vol. 44 Issue 9, p54 

    Focuses on some retailers and manufacturers' use of radio frequency identification (RFID) systems. D&S's adoption of RFID in meeting requirements which were put into effect by Wal-Mart Stores Inc., for its top 100 supplier; Emphasis on Kodak's use of RFID chips on its employees passes.

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics