Casino advocates in Massachusetts get boost from former adversary
- Casinos remain a long, long shot. O'Brien, George // BusinessWest;Apr99, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p11
Focuses on the proposed establishment of casino gambling facilities in Western Massachusetts. Speculations on the vigilance of Western Massachusetts' legislative body to decide on the issue of local casino gambling; Comments of House Speaker Thomas Finneran on the issue; Statistics on Western...
- House speaker, journal editor to address Outlook 2000. // BusinessWest;Jan2000, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p39
Reports that Thomas Finneran, speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representative, will be one of the speakers addressing business professionals at the Outlook 2000 luncheon on January 28, 2000 in Springfield, Massachusetts. Other notable speakers of the meeting.
- Massachusetts' Leaders Compromise, Present Plan to End Deficit. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;4/17/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31367, p29
Focuses on the budget deliberations in Massachusetts. Agreement between acting governor Jane Swift, House speaker Thomas Finneran and Senate president Thomas Birmingham on measures to eliminate the budget deficit; Proposal for refinancing commonwealth's debt; Extension of payment schedule for...
- Local News. // Bay Windows;2/26/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p04
Presents news briefs concerning gays in New England as of February 2004. Increase in number of people opposing gay marriage in Massachusetts based on a poll published by the "Boston Globe"; Support of Massachusetts House Speaker Thomas Finneran for a constitutional amendment that would grant...
- Leaders. // State Legislatures;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p35
Profiles several legislative leaders in the United States. Massachusetts House Speaker Thomas Finneran; Oregon House Speaker Lynn Lundquist; Alaska Senate President Mike Miller; Delaware Senate President Pro Tempore Thomas Sharp.
- Mass. House Takes Move Toward Universal Preschool. Gehring, John // Education Week;5/12/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 36, p21
Massachusetts lawmakers took a major step toward providing universal preschool for 3-and 4-year-olds, when the U.S. House unanimously passed an early-education plan on April 28, 2004. Pushed by Speaker of the House Thomas M. Finneran, the plan would establish a department of early education that...
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Vekshin, Alison; Peacock, Wayne; McDonald, Michael; Braun, Martin Z.; Mckaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;4/8/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31360, p35
Reports developments on government securities in the U.S. as of April 2002. Sale of revenue bonds by the Maryland Health and Higher Educational Facilities Authority; Proposal for a veto on the income-tax cut by House Speaker Thomas M. Finneran in Massachusetts; Appointment of C. Sean Closkey to...
- Finneran goes to Cone as senior vp. // Home Textiles Today;08/21/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 49, p14
Reports that textile fabric industry veteran Thomas Finneran has been appointed senior vice president at Cone Decorative Fabrics. Career background of the executive; Qualifications for the position.
- Meeting held with Finneran over domestic-partners bill. Giordano, Scott A. // Bay Windows;4/27/2000, pN.PAG
Reports that a group of public officials met with Massachusetts Speaker of the House Thomas Finneran on April 18, 2000 to discuss the pending domestic-partnership (DP) in the Massachusetts state Legislature. Names of the officials who attended the meeting; Significance of the DP bill on the...