To be a widow in Nigeria
- The Situation of Chinese Women. // Women's International Network News;Winter96, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p56
Looks at the contents of the publication `The Situation of Chinese Women,' from the All China Women's Federation. Condition of women in China; Focus on the 1995 World Conference on Women.
- India: Muslim Women Organise for Their Rights. // Women's International Network News;Autumn99, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p57
Provides information on the meeting held by Muslim women in Mumbai, India entitled `Muslim Personal Law and Women,' organized by Awaaz-e-Niswaan, a Muslim women's organization. Demands of the Muslim women; Punishment for a Muslim woman who committed adultery.
- BENEFICENT MATERNALISM: Argentine Motherhood in Comparative Perspective, 1880-1920. Mead, Karen // Journal of Women's History;Autumn2000, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p120
Presents an article which places an important Argentine voluntary association, Beneficent Society, within the internal context of women's maternalist activism. Relationship between the society and the Argentine government; Catholicism, medicine and the state in France and Argentina; Progressive...
- Women's group crosses `Bridge of peace' in search of... Delaney, Yvonne // New York Amsterdam News;10/12/96, Vol. 87 Issue 41, p11
Focuses on the efforts of the Women's Federation for World Peace to stop racism among women. Program held by the organization; Attendees of the program; Comments from Suzanne Tadokoro, co-chairman of Beyond the Dream conference; Information on the organization.
- Widows living alone. Bess, Irwin // Canadian Social Trends;Summer99, Issue 53, p2
Reports on the social conditions of Canadian widows who decide to live on their own. Hesitance to live with grown-up children; Social networks of widows; Factors influencing their decision to live alone; Relation of woman's age upon adjustment to husband's death; Economic factors involved in...
- Powerless, Or Not. HULL, PAMELA // North Dakota Quarterly;
A personal narrative is presented in which the author explores her experience as an older widow coping with the death of her husband, including dancing with an Israeli man, living in Rome, or Roma, Italy and meeting a disabled physical chemist.
- Social Mobility in the 1970s and 1980s: A Study of Men and Women in England and Sweden. Jonsson, Jan O.; Mills, Colin // European Sociological Review;Dec1993, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p229
Theories about change in social mobility regimes have been difficult to test because of a lack of genuinely comparable data for multiple time-points. This problem is overcome for two European nations, Sweden and England, by making use of eleven different data-sets with closely matched social...
- INCITE! Mantilla, Karla // Off Our Backs;May/Jun2005, Vol. 35 Issue 5/6, p40
Highlights the third Color of Violence Conference by INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence organization in New Orleans, Louisiana from March 11-13, 2005. Theme of the conference; Attendees of the event; Programs and activities; Keynote speakers.
- Anti-Street Harassment. Roberson, Amaya N. // Off Our Backs;May/Jun2005, Vol. 35 Issue 5/6, p48
Discusses the establishment of an anti-street harassment initiative by the Young Women's Action Team in Chicago, Illinois. Background information on the formation of the group; Results from a group survey on harassment; Supporters of the group.