fields & frames
- Performance Study of Two Phase Locking in Single-Site Database Systems. Pun, K. H.; Belford, Geneva G. // IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering;Dec87, Vol. 13 Issue 12, p1311
Many database systems guarantee the consistency of the database for concurrent transaction processing by a standard locking protocol called two phase locking. The performance of such systems is dependent on various factors, among which are the choices of locking granularity (the amount of data...
- OCTAVE. // Network Dictionary;2007, p349
A definition of the term "octave" is presented. It refers to a methodology for evaluating the security risks associated with information systems.
- Multidimensional Timestamp Protocols for Concurrency Control. Leu, Pei-Jyun; Bhargava, Bharat // IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering;Dec87, Vol. 13 Issue 12, p1238
We propose multidimensional timestamp protocols for concurrency control in database systems where each transaction is assigned a timestamp vector containing multiple elements. The time- stamp vectors for two transactions can be equal if timestamp elements are assigned the same values. The...
- Even Data Bases That Lie Can Be Compromised. Demillo, Richard A.; Dobkin, David; Lipton, Richard J. // IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering;Jan78, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p73
Users can compromise data bases by asking a series of questions, even when the data bases are allowed to lie.
- NetSupport DNA. // Database & Network Journal;Oct2004, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p23
This article seeks to report the release of NetSupport DNA 2.0. With NetSupport DNA, IT departments at small and medium-sized firms can know what hardware and software they have in place, monitor application usage, budget more accurately for upgrades, improve their in-house IT support and even...
- techbeat. // Script (10922016);Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p101
The article evaluates several screenplay/script writing software including ScriptRight, Media Bistro and iScript.
- Choice information. Pout, Debbie // Printing World;3/3/2005, Vol. 289 Issue 9, p40
Focuses on the task of choosing a management information system like the MIS Show 2005. Features of the MIS Show; Details and design construction of other similar management information system developed by other companies; Contention of the author that the MIS Show is a good forum for...
- Using Recommendation Systems in Course Management Systems to Recommend Learning Objects. Itmazi, Jamil; Meg�as, Miguel // International Arab Journal of Information Technology (IAJIT);Jul2008, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p234
Recommendation systems have been widely used in many internet activities and their importance is increasing due to the information overload problem arising from internet. This paper gives background and some example of the RS current usage domains, the different recommendation systems...
- Performance gain with variable chunk size in GFS-like file systems. Yang Zhi-feng; Tu Qi-chen; Fan Kai; Zhu Lei; Chen Ri-shan; Peng Bo // Journal of Communication & Computer;Jun2008, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p54
We have designed and implemented Tianwang File System(TFS), which is a distributed file system much like Google File System(GFS). The system has its origins in our Tianwang search engine and web mining research work. Our system has the same assumptions and the same architectures with GFS. But...