- Vendors use OSI to run X-Windows. Bucholtz, Chris // Telephony;2/12/96, Vol. 230 Issue 7, p3
Reports that a group of vendors has run X Windows over a seven-layer open systems integration protocol stack, marking the first use of the graphical user interface in the OSI environment. Feasibility of running network management applications based on X Windows over an OSI-based data...
- New York State endorses ISO/OSI reference model. // Library Journal;9/15/1987, Vol. 112 Issue 15, p28
Reports on the endorsement of the International Standards Organization/Open System Interconnection reference model for linking library computer systems, by the state of New York. Recommendation of the Statewide Automation Committee.
- Net intelligence a balancing act. Dzubeck, Frank // Network World;6/13/2005, Vol. 22 Issue 23, p49
This article reports that when Internet Protocol (IP) was in its infancy network concerns were focused at Layers 2 and 3 of the Open System interconnection (OSI) model. Now the network intelligence is pervasive across all layers of the OSI model. The information technology (IT) industry has not...
- Rethinking open systems. Chapell, David // Business Communications Review;Aug95, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p26
Asserts that technology franchises can deliver the benefits of open systems more quickly and at a lower cost. Definition of an open system; Origin of the open system movement; What computer users want; Benefits from dominant technologies; Criteria for creating workable, successful open systems...
- OSI: Will it ever see the light of day? Moloney, Peter // Australian Library Journal;Aug97, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p304
Reviews the competing of the computer industry pertaining to the standards with emphasis on Open Systems Interconnections (OSI). Indepth look at the standards of OSI; Details on the problems in security; Discussion the standardization pertaining to the sophistication of networks.
- OSI strives for global data communications standards. Dziatkiewicz, Mark // America's Network;2/15/96, Vol. 100 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) as a worldwide solution to the standardization of data communications and protocols. Convergence as a telecommunications, computer and broadband technology amalgam; IBM's Systems Network Architecture (SNA); Seven layers of the OSI reference model;...
- AUTOSAR motors toward test phase. Reed, Greg // Test & Measurement World;Sep2005, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p68
Reports on the formation of the Automotive Open Systems Architecture partnership to promote an open standard for automotive electric or electronics architecture. Intention of the alliance to formulate new standards to serve as infrastructure for managing functions within applications embedded in...
- Open System. // Network Dictionary;2007, p353
A definition of the term "Open System" is presented. It refers to a system whose specifications are fully available to anyone who wants to see them.
- OSI Connection-Oriented Network Protocol. // Network Dictionary;2007, p358
An encyclopedia entry for "OSI Connection-Oriented Network Protocol" (CONP) is presented. It is a network layer protocol that carries upper layer data and error indications over connection-oriented links. It also mentions the two types of OSI network layer services that are available which are...