ACAAI launches a public education campaign on allergy treatment
- Kaposi's sarcoma � an update. Stebbing, Justin; Portsmouth, Simon; Gotch, Frances; Gazzard, Brian // International Journal of STD & AIDS;Apr2003, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p225
The article presents an update in Kaposi's sarcoma. The hypothesis is presented that aside from sexual contact, Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) may be spread early in life through saliva. KSHV uses mechanisms to escape detection by the body's immune system. The identification of...
- Allergies in a nutshell. Pearce, Lynne // Nursing Standard;6/13/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 40, p18
Allergy in children is a serious and increasing problem. Karen Orr has introduced a diagnostic, treatment and support service, which has won her the title of RCN Northern Ireland Nurse of the Year.
- Don't Sneeze. Barrett, Jennifer // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);10/23/2006, Vol. 148 Issue 17, p10
This article reports on seasonal allergies. Autumn is the worst time for hay fever sufferers, when ragweed pollen causes sneezing, coughing and runny noses, and itchy eyes, nose and throat. Conventional allergy shots require numerous visits to the doctor's office, yet promising new therapy in...
- Missed opportunities for prevention in general internal medicine. Brull, Richard; Ghali, William A.; Quan, Hude // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;4/20/99, Vol. 160 Issue 8, p1137
Identifies the contribution of general internists to disease prevention in Calgary, Albetra. List of possible interventions; Percentage of interventions addressed by the internist before and during current admission; Most frequent intervention not properly addressed; Implications for general...
- Creating hope in Chicago's Cabrini-Green. Reis, Janet Solomon // AHA News;10/23/95, Vol. 31 Issue 43, p6
Opinion. Explains the benefits of the Youth Pregnancy Prevention Program which addresses the issues on the increase incidences of pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases among adolescents. Cabrini-Green community in Chicago, Illinois as the test site of the program; Objectives of the...
- Outbreak news. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;10/29/99, Vol. 74 Issue 43, p363
Reports the outbreak of acute diarrheal syndrome in Chibombo, Zambia. Formation of the response team; Launch of health initiated campaign; Number of fatalities.
- Barriers to the use of preventive health care services for children. Riportella-Muller, Roberta; Selby-Harrington, Maija L. // Public Health Reports;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 111 Issue 1, p71
Examines barriers to the use of preventive health care services for children in the United States. Findings from interviews of parents targeted for outreach efforts that encouraged them to use Medicaid's Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment Program; Competing family or personal...
- CT SCANS FOR 'HEALTHY' PEOPLE. // Medical Update;Nov2000, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p5
Focuses on the HealthView Center for Preventive Medicine in Newport Beach, California, which offers a computerized tomography scanning for healthy people.
- Who's responsible? Resolving provider and public differences. Montague, Jim // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;4/20/94, Vol. 68 Issue 8, p64
Reports on motivating the public to be more preventive-minded due to the spread of capitation. Survey on consumer health knowledge and information; Supplying consumers with information on self-care issues; Public's perception of self-care through long-term educational process.