The planes in Spain
- USAF tests flares, missile warning on JSTARS. Hughes, David // Aviation Week & Space Technology;12/11/1995, Vol. 143 Issue 24, p26
Reports on the completion of the United States Air Force testing of a missile warning system and flare dispenser on an E-8A Joint-STARS test aircraft in November, 1995. Expectations of the Air Force; Arrangement of the Joint-STARS Joint Test Force.
- TacAir Trumps UAVs in Iraq. Harrison, Richard K. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Nov2003, Vol. 129 Issue 11, p58
For effective strike support in any mission regardless of threat, weather or special circumstances that develop in combat naval tactical air is unmatched. The only way to develop technology and tactics to properly prepare for combat, that encompass experiences in the recent battle spaces of...
- Space warfare center supports `warfighters'. Scott, William B. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;3/28/1994, Vol. 140 Issue 13, p64
Reports on the US Air Force's Space Warfare Center's (SWC) demonstration of the ability to focus space resources on the needs of battlefield commanders and combat aircrews during the Green Flag exercises in March 1994. Delivery of satellite-derived information to the cockpit of tactical...
- Air power as a second front. Gunzinger, Mark A. // Airpower Journal;Fall95, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p63
Advises war campaign planners to carefully consider using airpower, supported by land and sea operations, as a primary front to directly achieve theater objectives. First battle of Britain in World War I; Airpower as a second front in Europe and the Pacific during World War II; Korean conflict;...
- Stealth is a zero-sum game: A submariner's view of the advanced tactical fighter. Patton Jr., James H. // Airpower Journal;Spring91, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p4
Presents a submariner's view of the advanced tactical fighter (ATF) in the US Air Force. Parallels between the nuclear-powered attack submarine and the ATF; Use of stealthy ATFs in warfare; Existence of a level of appreciation for the value of surprise among fighter pilots.
- VSTOL and power projection. // Airpower Journal;Summer91, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p54
Examines the concept of using vertical and/or short takeoff and landing (VSTOL) aircraft for Air Force tactical air operations. Economic and military implications to force-structure capabilities; Characteristics and missions of tactical air group.
- USAF stresses UAVs for recon. Fulghum, David A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;9/27/1993, Vol. 139 Issue 13, p44
Reports on the US Air Force's cancellation of its advanced tactical aircraft reconnaissance system. Effort to fulfill its tactical reconnaissance needs from three other sources; Non-operation of the medium-range unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) by individual services; Interest in transferring...
- Carrier Shuffle. // Naval Aviation News;May/Jun99, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p6
Focuses on aircraft carriers used for the United States Air Force operations in the Arabian Gulf in March, 1999. Includes Carl Vinson (CVN 70); Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71); Kitty hawk (CV 63).
- Boost phase plan set for revision. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;4/18/1994, Vol. 140 Issue 16, p23
Reports on the US Air Force's search for a plan for boost-phase intercept of theater ballistic missiles. Rejection of a preliminary review of plan by Larry Lynn, deputy under secretary of defense for advanced technology; Lynn's proposal of the accelerated advanced concept technology...