Something to crow about
- Winning the Bash `War' in Panama. Darnell, Kevin C. // Flying Safety;Sep99, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p4
Reports on the results of the testing of modified marine radar at Howard Air Force Base in Panama for detecting migration streams and larger birds. Effects of the equipment; Benefit from the Bird Critical Zone; Background on the Next Generation Doppler Weather Radar. INSET: For the Birds.
- DeTect introduces lease option for MERLIN Radar. // Aeromag;Nov/Dec2014, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p56
The article informs that remote sensing firm Detect Inc. is to offer lease and lease-purchase financing to U.S. airports for the MERLIN Aircraft Birdstrike Avoidance Radar system to help reduce bird strikes and to increase flight safety and presents the views of DeTect's President Ron L. Merritt.
- LRAD Deters Birds for Aircraft, Airport Safety. // Air Safety Week;6/27/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 26, p7
The article offers information on the bird deterring radar system Long-Range Acoustic Devices (LRAD), developed by Nixalite of America Inc. (Nixalite).
- Bird Patrol Targets Air Safety Threat In The Cayman Islands. // AirGuide For the Frequent Flyer;Dec2013, p43
The article reports that Cayman Islands will establish a dedicated bird control unit to counter the threat posed by birds and other wildlife to air safety.
- Where the birds are. Lovell, Charles D. // Flying Safety;Mar1998, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p16
Presents information on waterfowl migration, movement and activity patterns in the United States and Canada for bird avoidance purposes. Includes the occurrence of 90 percent of migratory flights below 5,000 feet; Peak migration during the fall and spring; Factors influencing migration; Finding...
- Introducing the new BAM. DeFusco, Russell P. // Flying Safety;Mar1998, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p4
Introduces the new Geographic Information System (GIS) program Bird Avoidance Model (BAM) which is used by pilots for bird avoidance. Model's integration of historical information on bird distributions and abundances with various geographic and environmental factors; Comparison of the new BAM...
- The Avian Hazard Advisory System (AHAS). Kelly, T. Adam // Flying Safety;Apr99, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p8
Reports on the need to reduce the number of bird strikes in the United States. How Bird Avoidance Model (BAM) helps reduce the number of bird strikes; Factors that influence bird strikes; Evolution of the BAM.
- BAM (Bird Avoidance Model) 101. Burney, Curt // Flying Safety;Apr99, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p12
Discusses the development of the bird avoidance model (BAM). Data found in the 1996 BAM model; Limitations of the BAM; Reason there are no May and September bird counts.
- Is Bird Awareness Mission Essential? It is at Aviano. Metzger, C. // Flying Safety;Apr99, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p19
Reports about bird awareness at Aviano Air Base in Italy. Key to developing an effective Bird Control Program; Total number of bird strikes in the Air Force; Total damage cost due to bird strikes; Goal of the Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard (BASH).