Big Dig Leaking, Boston Officials Admit, But Analysts Aren't Worried
- Turkish rail tunnel build starts. Whitfield, Mark // European Chemical News;5/17/2004, Vol. 80 Issue 2100, p16
Reports that construction has started on a project to build a rail tunnel under the Bosphorus Strait in Turkey as of May 17, 2004. Cost of the project; Details of the project; Expected year of completion of the project.
- Project Update. Burke, Jack // TBM: Tunnel Business Magazine;Feb2010, p32
The article presents updates on tunneling projects in North America. In California, the final lining concrete operations of the Devil Slide Tunnel are now fully under way in the northbound and southbound tunnels as of December 2009. The 75-foot deep cassion was completed on the 39th Street...
- Pushing the limits. Williams, Lawrence // International Construction;Jun2007, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p43
The article discusses the development of tunneling technology in the U.S. While basic tunnel boring machine technology may not have actually made a great deal of progress over the past few years, the application of this technology, and the ancillary equipment involved, have definitely been...
- What lies beneath. // Engineer (00137758);4/4/2012, Vol. 296 Issue 7837, p22
The article focuses on the Crossrail proejct in London, England. The start of tunnel construction is the most difficult phase of the project. Tunnelling is a technologically challenging task, but the oldest section of the Tube is 149 years old, with 11 lines running from just below the surface...
- Final lining at Devil's Slide Tunnel. // Mining Engineering;Jun2011, Vol. 63 Issue 6, Special section p12
The article features the latest developments in the Devil's Slide Tunnel project in California as of June 2011. It cites that the project combines tunnel excavation and mining operation. It claims that the project involves the construction of twin bore tunnels that are excavated based on the...
- More than 1,300 attend RETC in Las Vegas. Kral, Steve // Mining Engineering;Sep2009, Vol. 61 Issue 9, p34
The article discusses the highlights of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC) held at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada from June 14 to 17, 2009. There were 1,373 underground space professionals who attended the event compared with 1,334 in 2007 in Toronto, Ontario. Among the...
- Burrowing under the Alps. Hibbert, Lee // Professional Engineering;10/19/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 19, p27
Reports on the construction of railway tunnel under the Alps. Challenges and problems faced by engineers in the construction; Purpose of the railway tunnel; Estimate of the costs for the construction.
- Manufacturing Executives Assess the Future. // Underground Construction;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p28
Part II. Interviews several manufacturing executives regarding the future of the microtunneling industry. Challenges faced by the industry; Comments on the restrictions and policies that impact the United States (U.S.) microtunneling industry; Number of machines operating in the U.S. INSET:...
- Historic link for Turkey. // International Construction;Jun2004, Vol. 43 Issue 5, p9
Reports on the construction of a railway tunnel connecting across the Strait of Istanbul, between Turkey's Asian and European territories. Inclusions of the project; Components of the crossing; Cost of the tunnel contract.