Mississippi Lawmakers Wrangle Over Debt During Special Session
- Bill Aims for Regional Authorities To Lure Big Business to Tennessee. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;3/22/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32592, p8
The article reports updates related to the House Bill 2172, a bill which aims to provide states the ability to issue bonds in the U.S. Reportedly, the bill was the result of the concern raised by smaller counties and cities that do not have financial means to attract large companies....
- Mississippi Legislature Files $742M of New Debt Bills. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;1/16/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32547, p6
The article reports that lawmakers have filed about 30 bond bills authorizing more than $742.5 million of new debt as the Mississippi Legislature enters its third week in session. Treasurer Tate Reeves said the state's debt picture has significantly improved and that he would continue working to...
- W. Va. Lawmakers Clash Over Tobacco Plan. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;3/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31341, p4
Reports that lawmakers in the West Virginia Legislature are facing a difference of opinion over whether to use a Senate-proposed tobacco bond measure to finance pensions or health care. Demand of the Senate to put the money into the pension system; Amount that West Virginia is expected to...
- Albuquerque Sells Bonds for Balloons. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;4/9/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32603, p4
The article reports on the plan of Albuquerque, New Mexico to use $6.1 million of general obligation bond proceeds to buy a 22-acre site for use as a hot air balloon-landing site. On April 4, 2007, City Council members voted unanimously to purchase the land about two miles south of Balloon...
- Economic Stimulus Bill Delayed by Partisanship in the Senate. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;10/31/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31255, p1
Reports on delay in economic stimulus bill by partisanship in the U.S. Senate. Provisions of the bill; Reasons for partisanship over the bill; Efforts of the Council of Development Finance Agencies in promoting the inclusion of provision that will boost the bond market.
- Colorado Pay-to-Play Rule Wins Preliminary Approval in Senate. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/3/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31875, p7
Reports on the approval of a bill that would cut down on pay-to-play in the bond market by the Colorado Senate. Encouragement for issuers to sell the debt issues of bond market professionals; Opposition of bond firms, school organizations, and other groups on the measure; Amendment in some...
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;9/19/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32220, p29
Presents a chart depicting the bond buyer legislative status report in the U.S.
- Returning to Market, Albany Looks to Beef up Downtown. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;9/7/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31219, p39
Reports the sale of general obligation bonds and bond anticipation notes in Albany, New York. Components of the deal; Aims of the project for economic development; Rate of the issued bonds.
- Bevy of Bond Bills Passed. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/12/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32380, p33
The article reports on several bond-related bills approved by the Alaska Legislature. One bill would increase the bonding authority of the Alaska Municipal Bond Bank. Another bill authorizes the Knik Arm Bridge and Toll Authority to issue toll revenue bonds and borrow money through the federal...