Inflationary concerns and stock returns: An alternative perspective
- readers talk. // DRIP Investor;Jul2000, Vol. 9 Issue 7, p3
Presents a question and answer advisory on stocks. Query on the definition of a holding stock; Inflation of price on purchase dates; Clarification on the differences between buying on dips and timing the market.
- Inflation, Output, and Stock Prices: Evidence from Two Major Emerging Market. Adrangi, Bahram; Chatrath, Arjun // Journal of Economics & Finance;Fall99, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p266
Investigates the relationship between stock returns and inflation rates in Korea and Mexico. Persistence of the negative relationship between the real stock returns and the unexpected inflation after purging inflation of the effects of the real economic activity; Weakness of the long-term...
- Stock returns during the German hyperinflation. Lee, S. R.; Tang, D. P.; Wong, K. Matthew // Quarterly Review of Economics & Finance;Fall2000, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p375
We examine the relationship between stock returns and inflation during the German hyperinflation period. As Cagan (1956) argues, hyperinflation is close to a pure monetary phenomenon, the monetary sector is almost isolated from the real sector of the economy. We can thus study the impact of...
- A Test of the Proxy-Effect Hypothesis: Evidence From the Pacific Basin Countries. Lee, Unro // Quarterly Journal of Business & Economics;Summer98, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p40
Examines whether the proxy-effect hypothesis can adequately explain the negative relationship between stock returns and expected inflation for the four Pacific Basin countries, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. Traditional belief on common stocks; One of the least regulated stock...
- Untitled. Easton, Steve // Indianapolis Business Journal;7/12/93, Vol. 14 Issue 15, p26A
Opinion. Discusses the effect of anticipated inflation on stock trading. Increase in the value of gold and soybeans; Sensitivity of the bond crowd; Performance of hot stock groups and non-financial stocks.
- Empirical Evidence of a Positive Inflation Premium Being Incorporated into Stock Prices. Murphy, Austin; Sahu, Anandi // Atlantic Economic Journal;Jun2001, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p177
Demonstrates that long-term stock returns are positively correlated with inflation in contrast to research findings on short-term stock returns. Description of the empirical model; Analysis of forecasting errors; Comparison with a model of expected stock returns.
- The Differential Impacts of Inflation on Southern Plains Farms by Selected Farm Characteristics. O'Carroll, Francis X. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Dec81, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p947
Focuses on microeconomic effects of inflation, reporting the results of simulating the effect of inflation on Southern Plain farms. Definition of inflation; Effects of inflation rates on the growth of equity in the benchmark farms under various growth strategies; Impact of tenure on growth of...
- You can earn a safe 8% or more as interest rates slide over the next year. Sivy, Michael // Money;Jun96, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p196
Notes that Americans are near to panicking about inflation in 1996, due in good part to the hike in gasoline prices. Predicts that serious inflation is not on the immediate horizon; Advice to invest at bargain prices before investors relax and interest rates start dropping; What the...
- The impact of inflation accounting on the stock market. Cutler, R.S.; Westwick, C.A. // Accountancy;Mar1973, Vol. 83 Issue 955, p15
Discusses the impact of inflation accounting on the stock market in Great Britain. Exposure draft 8, or 'Accounting for changes in the purchasing power of money'; Estimated effects of inflation on quoted companies; Effects of inflation on earnings; Relative importance of economic factors;...