Offshore: a good investment?
- INEFFICIENT MARKETS. Prest, Michael // Prospect;Mar2007, Issue 132, p62
The article presents news regarding economics in Great Britain. The possible benefits to allowing the growth of the casino industry in Manchester, England is discussed. Issues surrounding the international outsourcing of British manufacturing industries, such as the Corus company buyout by Tata,...
- IN BRIEF. // Supply Management;2/2/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p8
The article presents news briefs related to economics in Great Britain. The Environmental Audit Committee said that the government must act urgently to introduce legislation to prevent illegal timber and timber products from entering the market. The rise in oil and gas prices resulted in the...
- Moving production overseas will cost UK dear -- Cambridge report. // Professional Engineering;8/13/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 14, p7
Presents a report on the movement of production by companies to overseas destinations. Need for maintaining a significant manufacturing base in United Kingdom for fostering innovation; Dangers of the knowledge driven economy; Emphasis on a policy with regard to the manufacturing costs; Shortage...
- A Source of knowledge. // Works Management;Sep2003, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p34
Provides information on issues related to outsourcing. Analysis of the costs of non-core activities; Qualities that companies should look for in a potential outsourcing provider; Ways in comparing and evaluating rival bids; Tips in managing the people issues.
- Riskiest Place May Be Your Comfort Zone. Cook, Stephen // Industry Week/IW;Jan2010, Vol. 259 Issue 1, p54
The article reports on the move of manufacturing companies to engage in global outsourcing trends during the attack of recessions in the U.S. It states that manufacturers are shifting their business to construction overseas and increase jobs with heavy freight costs because they need a business...
- From full employment to unemployment. Frederick, David // Credit Management;Jan2002, p38
Examines the factors contributing to the increased rate of unemployment in Great Britain. Economic and social impact of employment issue on the economy; Social problems brought about by unemployment; List of classifications of unemployment.
- Britain needs a new deal. Brown, Gordon // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);01/26/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 4, p27
Focuses on the plan by the chancellor of the exchequer in Great Britain to reduce unemployment in 1998. The British government's commitment to stable levels of employment; Details of the program, the New Deal, for young unemployed persons; A strategy of tax and benefit reform, including a...
- Fifteen years of deprivation: Britain's inner cities. Tones, Alison // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);7/25/92, Vol. 305 Issue 6847, p212
Examines the economic conditions of Great Britain's inner cities. Increase in the rates of premature death and unemployment; Conditions of children in the country; Demands for more budget and better management for the country's poor areas.
- Buy your home and kill a job. Oswald, Andrew // New Statesman;06/28/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4442, p10
Argues that the usual explanation on why Great Britain has one of the highest unemployment level among industrialized countries is wrong. Fallacy in attributing the rise of unemployment to labor unions; Comparative analysis on the unemployment levels in some industrialized countries; Contention...