Wichita Arena Tax
- Budget Woes Push Lawmakers into Uncharted Territory. Eckl, Corina // State Legislatures;Oct/Nov2003, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p21
Discusses the challenges that several state legislatures in the U.S. faced in solving their fiscal problems in 2003. Information on the dispute over the use of the General Improvement Fund of Arkansas; Details on the proposed sales tax increase in Idaho; Tax increases adopted by several states.
- Sales Tax for Culture. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;11/7/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32503, p33
The article reports that Bernalillo County would increase the sales tax to raise $30 million a year for cultural programs in New Mexico. The Quality of Life tax would go into effect in July 1, 2006 and remain in place for ten years, unless renewed by voters. Meanwhile, the law passed by the...
- NEW YORK: Menu of Taxes Off the Table. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;3/16/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33080, p9
The article reports that the proposals to raise or add to a menu of taxes that would have brought New York $1.3 billion were taken off the table following an agreement with legislative leaders. It states that it included taxes on sugared drinks, Internet downloads, haircuts, movies, concerts,...
- Utah Exemptions Enacted for Certain Machinery and Equipment. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;5/1/2013, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p8
The article reports that the Utah state legislature passed S.B. 33, which will impose sales and use tax exclusions on machines and gear. The bill will exclude sales of property meant for prepared food production in condition that the ownership of the seller and the buyer is similar and the he or...
- SALC votes to back extension of education state sales tax. Stephenson, Hank // Inside Tucson Business;4/20/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p15
The article focuses on the unanimous vote of the Southern Arizona Leadership Council (SALC) to support an initiative that will make permanent state's one-cent sales tax increase. It says that 80% of the expected one billion dollar per year will be dejectedly dedicated to education under the...
- State Assembly proposes summertime break on gas. // Business Journal (Central New York);5/21/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 21, p4
Reports on a Republican proposal led by assemblyman Jeff Brown in the New York State Assembly that would suspend the sales tax on gasoline for summer 2004. Amount to be saved by fuel consumers with the tax suspension; Authorization for local governments to eliminate sales tax.
- Suffolk tax flap sets a dangerous precedent. Kiernan, John // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);7/13/2007, Vol. 54 Issue 31, p15A
The author reflects on the failure of Suffolk County in New York to pass a routine sales tax bill before the state Legislature adjourns its regular session. He argues that legislators normally approve the authorization of a local tax if county officials vote to request it, but it encounters...
- States Lose Out on Online Shopping. Kurtzleben, Danielle // U.S. News Digital Weekly;12/2/2011, Vol. 3 Issue 48, p7
The article discusses the amount of tax money lost by the U.S. government to online and remote retailers. It cites the report of the National Conference of State Legislatures that reported states will lose an estimated $23.3 billion in 2012 from not collecting sales tax from online and catalog...
- Letters. // Indianapolis Business Journal;5/4/2015, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p13
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues such as "Time to tax services" in the April 13, 2015 issue, and "golf in the constitution," by Mark Maddox in the April 27, 2015 issue.