California's New Credit
- In Michigan, Options Expand With End to Ban on Bans. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/15/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31387, p30
Reports the selling of bond anticipation notes to fund the construction of a jail in a municipality in Michigan. Revision on the Michigan Municipal Finance Act; Freedom of municipalities to issue bonds without state oversight; Opportunity brought by the changes on non-home rule communities to...
- Proposal Would Give Michigan Municipal Issuers More Flexibility. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;05/18/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31142, p4
Reports on a proposed revision of Michigan's 1943 Municipal Finance Act that would give some local governments additional flexibility in issuing bonds and provide leeway in using short-term debt and negotiated rather than competitive sales. Requirement of municipalities to submit an application...
- The Dark Side Of The Muni. Zweig, Jason // Money;Sep2004, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p77
This is an article that provides information on buying and selling municipal bonds safely. If your Aunt Gertrude won the lottery and didn't know where to invest her windfall, chances are you would tell her to put it in municipal bonds or in a muni bond mutual fund. Meanwhile, the Internal...
- Power Utility Mergers in N.Y., N.J. May Affect Muni Market. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;2/28/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32328, p4
The article discusses the influence of the mergers and acquisitions among New York and New Jersey power providers in the municipal bond market. The planned 7.3 billion acquisition of KeySpan Corp. by National Grid affected the market by roughly $804 million of KeySpan debt, also affecting the...
- California Bond Election Negotiations Begin to Heat Up as Deadline Looms. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;3/10/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32336, p36
The article reports on the ongoing negotiations in Sacramento as the deadline looms to place a major infrastructure bond package on California's June 6, 2006 primary ballot. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has outlined his infrastructure plan, proposing a spending package that included $68...
- Munis Firm as Heavy Calendar Draws Bidders. Curran, William; Scarchilli, Michael // Bond Buyer;5/25/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32389, p2
The article focuses on the status of municipal bonds in the U.S. Bidders are enticed into the market due to new bond issues including the one billion-dollar of Illinois State Toll Highway Authority bonds. According to traders, tax-exempt yields decline by two or three basis points as dealers...
- Big Deals From Houston, Washington Should Boost Yields. Albano, Christine // Bond Buyer;5/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31885, p6
Reports on the volume of primary market municipal bond deals in the U.S. for the week of May 17, 2004. Major deals from various states; Yields expected by investors; Pricing of deals; Use of proceeds from the transactions.
- Slow Session Sees Munis Little Changed Ahead of Jobs Report. // Bond Buyer;6/4/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31898, p2
Reports that municipal bonds in the U.S. finished little changed on June 3, 2004, in muted trading as the market treaded ahead of the May employment report on June 4, 2004. Key issues of interest; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications on the bond market.
- D.C. Would Sell $450M for Stadium If It Wins Expos Franchise. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;9/24/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31976, p4
Reports on the District of Columbia's plan to sell 30-year tax-exempt revenue bonds for a baseball stadium should the city be awarded the Montreal Expos franchise. Construction cost; Debt service on the bonds.