Henry James the Builder
- Reading into Henry James. Flatley, Jonathan // Criticism;Winter2004, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p103
Discusses writer Henry James' recapture of his readership with his novel "The Turn of the Screw." James' loss of an audience in the final decade of the 19th century; Ways in which James historicized his own emotional life in the book and provided his audience with the materials to do so as well;...
- A Comparison of Manners. Johnson, Arthur // New Republic;8/27/19, Vol. 20 Issue 251, p113
Compares the literary style between religion and philosopher writer Henry James with U.S. novelist Herman Melville. Composition of novels of maritime adventure; Plot of the story; Observation of devices and idiosyncrasies involved; Inclination of Melville to metaphysics; Endeavor to cope with...
- "My Revered HJ": Raymond Chandler and the Lesson of the Master. Tate, James O. // Sewanee Review;Winter2006, Vol. 114 Issue 1, p129
This article discusses the influences brought by the world's renowned writers to the success of Raymond Chandler's literary works. Shakespeare, Prospere MÃ©rimÃ©e, T. S. Eliot, Ernest Hemingway are among the writers whose names became models of his achievements in bringing the worlds of low...
- Books and Things. P.L. // New Republic;6/9/20, Vol. 23 Issue 288, p63
Presents the author's views on writer Henry James. Background information on James; Analysis of James' letters and literary works; Predilections.
- H.J.'S J.H. IN 'THE REAL THING' Gale, Robert L. // Studies in Short Fiction;Fall77, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p396
Analyzes the literary style of writer Henry James. Reference on the short story 'The Real Thing,' by Henry James; Use of initials of to represent the characteristics of characters in each stories; Information on the initials used by James in his literary works.
- Reading Henry James in War Time. West, Rebecca // New Republic;2/27/15, Vol. 2 Issue 17, p98
Comments of the author on the works of Henry James in reference to the war. Criticism on the literary style of James; Overview of the James essay "The New Novel"; Conception of the duty of an author by James that an author's first concern is his style and not merely the treatment of their themes...
- Bed Reading. BUCKLEY JR., WILLIAM F. // National Review;2/12/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p54
The article discusses the book "The American," by Henry James, which the author purchased as an example of classic literature. The author had a chance to read the book while sick and stuck in bed, and quickly came to the conclusion that it is possibly the most boring book ever published, even...
- Relentless Intellect. Greer, Herb // World & I;May2004, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p245
Profiles Rebecca West, one of the publicized writers of the twentieth century. Family background that nurtured her writing interest; Description of her literary works and style; Influences in writing; Highlights of her career which started of being employed by the radical magazine "Freewoman";...
- TURGENEV AND JAMES . Bell, Millicent // Sewanee Review;Spring2002, Vol. 110 Issue 2, p231
Discusses the influence of Russian author Ivan Turgenev on writer Henry James in the 1870s. Essential themes in Turgenev's novels that called forth a particular response in James; Turgenev's formulation of the conflict between art and the practical life; Resemblances in the situations of both men.