Detroit education board counters threat of mayor's control
- State sues to shrink Detroit school board. // Crain's Detroit Business;8/13/2012, Vol. 28 Issue 33, p27
The article reports that a lawsuit has been filed by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette to remove seven members of the Detroit Board of Education.
- Detroit schools may link notes and GOs for summer sale. Williamson, Tammy // Bond Buyer;05/14/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30393, p1
Reports on Detroit, Michigan Board of Education's approval of its standard annual state aid anticipation note sale. Sale of Detroit Public Schools' general obligation bonds; Lead managers; Benefits on school districts whose bond sales are accepted into the program.
- DPS board approves $92 million loan. // Michigan Citizen;8/11/2013, Vol. 35 Issue 40, pA4
The article reports on the approval made by the Detroit Board of Education of a resolution borrowing 92 million dollars to cover the cost of the 2013-2014 school year for Detroit Public Schools.
- Superintendent Hired in Detroit. Archer, Jeff // Education Week;3/21/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 28, p11
The article discusses the hiring process for a new school superintendent in Detroit, Michigan and the ousting of incumbent superintendent William Coleman III. The large urban school district is reportedly facing financial difficulties and may need to close many schools despite having large...
- DETROIT TO CLOSE 34 SCHOOLS. // Education Week;4/11/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 32, p8
The article explains that the Detroit, Michigan School Board voted to close 34 of the district's schools during an April 4, 2007 meeting. The school closings are effective at the end of the 2006-2007 school year, and the board hopes that the action will help alleviate a $200 million deficit in...
- Detroit Sues State. // Education Digest;Mar1968, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p60
This article reports that the Board of Education of Detroit, Michigan, has gone to court to force the state of Michigan to put more money in slum area schools. The suit, filed in circuit court, asks that the state be compelled to discharge its constitutional obligations to provide equal...
- Future hinges on school vote. // Crain's Detroit Business;07/14/97, Vol. 13 Issue 28, p6
Opinion. Focuses on the vote which will be taken by the Board of Education in Detroit, Michigan, to determine whether to accept or reject recommendations to improve management of the district. Recommendations issued by a panel created by New Detroit Incorporated; Elimination of six `area...
- Detroit schools still searching for project manager. Goodin, Michael // Crain's Detroit Business;11/20/95, Vol. 11 Issue 47, p31
Reports on the continuing efforts of some business firms in Detroit, Michigan, to be named as manager for Detroit Public School's school renovation program. Rejection by the Detroit Board of Education of General Superintendent David Snead's recommendation to award the contract to M2...
- Calif. Bill May Require Schools to Defend Bond Sale Method. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/31/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32457, p40
The article reports that school boards in San Francisco, California are obliged to make a public choice between selling of bonds in a negotiated or competitive basis and will be required to support their choice. The newly approved legislative bill AB 1482 would require most school bonds to be...