Texas Agency Sets Oversight Team for Troubled Dallas-Area School District
- Texas Local Education Debt Tops $63 Billion. WATTS, JIM // Bond Buyer;10/31/2012, Vol. 382 Issue 33806, p12
The article mentions a report issued by the Office of Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, which highlights outstanding education debt of 63.6 million U.S. dollars from local school districts in Texas at the end of fiscal year 2012.
- More School Scrutiny. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;8/10/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31944, p31
Reports on Colorado Treasurer Mike Coffman's investigation into the finances of the Estes Park School District following the indictment of its former superintendent, Richard Kastendieck, for embezzlement of public funds.
- Districts' Borrowing May Face, Hit From Continued Financial Crisis. McNeil, Michele // Education Week;10/1/2008, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p11
The article explores the impact the U.S. financial crisis is having on schools. The potentially greatest impact cited will affect the districts' capital projects, as the credit and banking crisis make it harder to borrow money. Conversely, the author suggests because school's operating budgets...
- Houston ISD Planning $23.5M of Contractual Obligations. Philyaw, Jason // Bond Buyer;10/4/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32727, p28
The article reports on the plans of the Houston Independent School District to issue $23.5 million of public property finance contractual obligations in Texas. It is said that the offer will be offered through a competitive sale. Information about the yields of previous public property finance...
- Richer Texas Schools Join Forces To Revise 'Robin Hood' Formula. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;01/24/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31063, p1
Reports on Texas lawmakers' creation of an interim committee to study a plan by a coalition of wealthy school districts to sue the state for a more equitable school finance formula. Claim by some property-poor school districts that operations and debt service could be jeopardized if added...
- A New School Plan. // America;02/19/2001, Vol. 184 Issue 5, p3
Focuses on the policy of the United States government on education as of February 2001. Role of the government on public education; Way for school districts to continue qualifying for federal funds.
- Did Questions Spur IRS Probe? Higginbotham, Stacey; Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;04/02/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31109, p1
Focuses on an investigation being conducted by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over bond offerings to finance school districts in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. Overview on controversies with the bond offerings; Efforts of the IRS in targeting underwriters that are pitching...
- Michigan Gov. Warns of Possible Financial Emergency in Local School District. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;6/25/2014, Vol. 1 Issue 34132, p1
The article reports on appointment of a review team by Michigan governor Rick Snyder for investigating the finances of Benton Harbor Area Schools in Michigan following a report that warned existence of financial stress in the school district. It mentions options for school districts if review...
- Okla. Districts' Use of Tax-Exempt Bonds To Be Probed. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;2/20/1991, Vol. 10 Issue 22, p16
The article focuses on an investigation against the use of tax-exempt bonds by Oklahoma's school districts to finance their educational programs. The state government of Oklahoma designed a program to help school districts cover temporary budget deficits. The program is facing a grand-jury probe...