NAB Unveils Carriage Plan
- Are You Ready for the General Market? Waterston, Adriana // Multichannel News;7/21/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 29, p95
Reports on the penetration of digital cable in the U.S., according to the State of Cable and Broadband 2003 study. Potential of cable and broadband services among multicultural, urban consumers; Preference for video-on-demand, personal video recorder capability and home networking.
- No more digital set-tops? // CED;Jan2000, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the Consumer Electronics Association's issuing of a specification for compatibility requirements for digital television receivers and digital cable systems. Enabling of receiving in-the clear, premium and pay-per-view digital cable programming; Non-necessity of a set-top box;...
- Digital Suns Could Use A Good Talking To. Lafayette, Jon // Cable World (10427228);7/15/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 28, p44
Deals with the need for consumer education about digital cable television. Advantages of digital cable; Strategies to retain subscribers; Reason for high demand among foreign language speakers for digital cable.
- Preparing for the 'new reality' Walkowiak, Mariusz; Smith-Chaigneau, Anthony // CED;Jun2003, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p62
Discusses the emergence of cable-ready digital television. Creation of a uni-directional interface called point of deployment (POD); Opportunity for consumers to purchase cable-compatible digital set-top boxes and integrated digital televisions at retail; Software component of OpenCable, called...
- Digital cable insights. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;03/22/99, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p24
Reports that CTAM plans to sponsor a national tele-seminar focusing on digital technology applications in cable television industry in the United States. Digital futurist James Canton as host of the seminar to be beamed via satellite to the organization's chapters in the US.
- Not just a sneak preview. McCarthy, Shira // Telephony;11/11/96, Vol. 231 Issue 20, p26
Focuses on the imminent deployment of digital cable services. Switched dial video architectures from Bell Atlantic and SBC; Time Warner's Full Service Network project; Significance of digital service to a cable television operator's quality of service; Expensiveness of digital cable; Operators'...
- The DTV push is on for 1998. Dickson, Glen // Broadcasting & Cable;07/21/97, Vol. 127 Issue 30, p92
Reports on the plans of cable stations throughout the nation's top ten markets to begin transmission of digital television (DTV) following the US Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) release of its DTV allocation table in April 1997. Priorities of the 26 stations; Budget plans for the...
- Cable joins high-tech coalition against digital TV standard. McConnell, Chris // Broadcasting & Cable;7/15/96, Vol. 126 Issue 30, p9
Reports that cable companies in the United States have switched sides to join the computer industry in opposing the adoption of mandatory standard for digital television. Comments from National Cable Television Association President Decker Anstrom; Company's concern on the barriers to...
- Making sense of set-tops. Colman, Price // Broadcasting & Cable;10/27/97, Vol. 127 Issue 44, p51
Details the use of digital set-top boxes in cable televisions in the United States. Efforts of the cable industry to improve the digital set-tops; Impact of set-top boxes to the industry's revenues and operations; Development of a set-top box that helps interface the television receiver and...