High court rules against sampling for reapportionment
- More leeway but little clarity. Beyle, Thad; Guillory, Ferrel // State Government News;Jun/Jul2001, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p24
Discusses the ruling of the United States Supreme Court on the North Carolina redistricting case. Details on the case; Significance of the ruling; Information on the redistricting issue in New Jersey. INSET: Utah v. North Carolina.
- Federal Judge Holds Oakland May Delay Redistricting Effort. // Education Week;3/11/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 25, p2
The article reports on the rulings by Fern Smith, U.S. District Judge, to require city officials to redraw local voting districts before the November elections for school board and city council in Oakland, California. According to the backers of the lawsuit filed last November, the population...
- Another plan for DuPage Airport buffer. Murphy, H. Lee // Crain's Chicago Business;12/13/99, Vol. 22 Issue 50, pSB24
Reports on proposals to develop the airport buffer of DuPage Airport in Chicago, Illinois as of December 13, 1999. Proposal by United States House Speaker Dennis Hastert to construct a high-technology corporate park in the buffer to cater small businesses; Proposal to built a power plant;...
- THE LISTENER. Franzen, Jonathan // New Yorker;10/6/2003, Vol. 79 Issue 29, p84
Profiles J. Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House of Representatives in the United States. Career history; Hobbies; Public reputation of Hastert; Educational background; Career as a wrestling coach; Political leadership; Family; Events that led to Hastert's election as head of the House of...
- The health care menace haunting Dennis and Newt. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;06/08/98, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p11
Opinion. Focuses on Representative Dennis Hastert, who was appointed by United States House Speaker Newt Gingrich, to chair a task force of 12 Republican leaders and health care experts to come up with legislation to address the public's growing discontent with health maintenance organizations....
- Dennis who? He's the new go-to guy in D.C. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;2/20/95, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p3
Profiles United States Representative J. Dennis Hastert. Political career; Hastert as the sole Illinois Republican on the Commerce Committee; Bills.
- Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, R.-Ill. // National Journal;6/14/97, Vol. 29 Issue 24, p1200
Profiles Representative J. Dennis Hastert, considered as the Chief Deputy Majority whip. Roles and responsibilities; Major achievements; Highlights of political career; Comments from colleagues; Educational background.
- Bennett, Novak Praise Evangelicals' Cooperation. Bennett, William J.; Novak, Michael // Human Events;03/24/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p20
Presents a text of a letter about the political attempts to divide Catholics from evangelicals, addressed to Speaker Dennis Hastert.
- Sources: Hastert poised to declare retirement plans. Kucinich, Jackie; Blake, Aaron // Hill;8/15/2007, Vol. 14 Issue 98, p3
The article announces that former House Speaker Dennis Hastert will retire from the U.S. Congress after his 11 terms of service in the country.