Voinovich to chair oversight panel
- Governmental affairs position papers. // Professional Safety;Oct96, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p6
Focuses on issues in which consensus was reached, in the June 1996 meeting of the Governmental Affairs Committee (GAC). List of issues position papers were created about; Process for approval of position papers; How creation of these papers are sound strategy for the Society; When the papers...
- A penny saved... Mortman, Howard // National Journal;4/03/99, Vol. 31 Issue 14, p907
Presents an anecdote on Ohio Senator George Voinovich in which he was seen picking a penny from a urinal, rinsing it and then keeping it, right before his inaugural ball as governor in 1991.
- Bill would require analysis of costs/benefits of rules. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;03/16/98, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p1
Reports on the United States Senate Government Affairs Committee's approval of S. 981, the Regulatory Improvement Act of 1998. Federal rules and regulations to which the measure would apply; Effect which the bill would have on federal agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health...
- Legislative background. // Congressional Digest;May99, Vol. 78 Issue 5, p137
Focuses on the Independent Counsel Act, which was originally enacted as Title VI of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978. Changes made on the statutory provisions of the Act in 1983, 1987, and 1994; Proposal allowing the termination of the law on June 30, 1999; Hearings being conducted by the...
- No party animals. Barnes, James A. // National Journal;9/13/97, Vol. 29 Issue 37, p1791
Reports on the steps taken by the United States Senate Governmental Affairs Committee into the inquiry of the 1996 campaign fund-raising scandals. Moves toward easing partisan tensions; Obstacles to bipartisanship; Causes of partisan animosity.
- Gov. Davis to Congress: Force Municipal Utilities to Pay Refunds. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;06/21/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31165, p40
Reports the appeal of Washington Governor Gray Davis to the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee to pressure power generators for overcharge refund in the United States. Comparison of charges between municipal utilities and private generators; Amount overcharged by private generators; Doubt...
- Clinton's Asian superfunds. Russell, Keith // Insight on the News;03/30/98, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p8
Details the March 5, 1998, hearing and approval of the final report on the investigation of campaign fund-raising abuses by the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee. Reference to Asian superfunds of United States President, Bill Clinton; Information on Chinese government and the Democratic...
- Panel Approves Bill Giving D.C. More Control Over Funds. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/23/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31746, p4
Reports on the legislation approved by the U.S. Senate Governmental Affairs Committee giving control over locally generated revenues to the District of Columbia. Incorporation of the approved budget in federal spending legislation; Adoption of fiscal resolutions; Disruption of district operations.
- Senators offer a new push for commission to tackle entitlements. Allen, Jared; Alarkon, Walter // Hill;5/7/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 52, p3
The article reports on the legislative offer of senators Joe Lieberman and George Voinovich to create a blue-ribbon commission that would tackle the healthcare reforms for Medicare, Medicaid , and Social Security.
- Herstory Museum. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/27/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31748, p43
Reports on the approval of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee on the use of the Old Post Office Pavilion Annex for the National Women's History Museum in Washington D.C. Utilization of tax-exempt financing; Involvement of tax-increment financing promissory notes; Application of...