Wal-Mart: America, George Carlin Not Welcome In Retail Stores
- Wal-Mart Not Carrying 'America' Abbott, Charlotte // Publishers Weekly;10/25/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 43, p8
Reports on the decision of retailer chain Wal-Mart to cancel its orders of the book "America: The Book" from publisher Warner Books in the U.S. Reason for the decision of Wal-Mart to refuse selling books authored by Jon Stewart; Reputation of Wal-Mart in the stocking of books; Sales performance...
- NORTH DAKOTA. Kirch, Claire // Publishers Weekly;8/27/2007, Vol. 254 Issue 34, p30
The article focuses on North Dakota as a bookselling market. With 634,000 residents spread out over 70,000 square miles, 90% of it farmland, North Dakota averages only nine inhabitants per square mile. While placing a healthy ninth on PW bookselling index, North Dakota is not regarded as a prime...
- Wal-Mart, NYC. // New York;12/20/2004, Vol. 37 Issue 45, p24
Reports that New Yorkers in the media business will welcome the news that Wal-Mart is opening a store in Queens in 2008 because the Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart has been selling a large percent of all recorded music, DVD films and magazines. Wal-Mart's ban on "America (The Book)," by Jon...
- Industry Assesses Ramifications of Wal-Mart's Bid to Call the Shots. Lukovitz, Karlene // Circulation Management;Apr2002, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p9
Reports on the negotiation of Time Inc. executives and other publishers and distributors with Wal-Mart regarding the retailer's plan to establish financial relationships with publishers based on a scan-based trading (SBT)/pay-on-scan (POS) model in the U.S. as of April 2002. Background on...
- A leader beyond bricks-and-mortar. // Chain Store Age;Dec99, Vol. 75 Issue 13, p66
Presents information on the electronic commerce initiative of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Explanation from Melissa Brown, Wal-Mart spokesman; Features of its web site to be launched in January 2000; Agreement of the company with Books-A-Million.
- Kmart battles for position. Arlen, Jeffrey // Discount Store News;3/22/99, Vol. 38 Issue 6, AM EDITORIAL pA3
Presents information on the retail trade in the United States. Comments from the book `Art of War' by Sun Tzu; Revenues of Wal-Mart in 1998; Role of clothing and dress sales in the growth of the industry.
- Making room for Uncle Sam. Swain, Peter G. // Business Quarterly;Autumn94, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p46
Focuses on the impact of the entry of Wal-Mart into Canada's retail trade. Financial figures on Wal-Mart; Vulnerability of the discount store sector; Wal-Mart method; Sam Walton's rules for doing business; Special challenges for Wal-Mart; Increase in pressure on manufacturers; Change in...
- Wal-Mart boosts global commitment; Intl. division pulls in top new execs. Troy, Mike // Discount Store News;5/11/98, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p3
Reports on additional executive appointments by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to improve its global operations. Appointment of Carlos Criado-Perez as senior vice president and as replacement for John Lupo; Election of Roland Hernandez to the board of directors; Lupo's achievements for the firm.
- Wal-Mart's Market Entry into Germany from an Intercultural Perspective. Berggoetz, Reinhart; Laue, Martin // European Retail Digest;Jun2002, Issue 34, p6
Deals with the entry of Wal-Mart Inc. into the German retail market at the end of 1997. Financial significance; Information on the retailer's corporate culture; Background on Wal-Mart's founder, Sam Walton.