Command Begins with Self-Control
- Departments should update school response/MCI policies. // Fire Engineering;Jul2007, Vol. 160 Issue 7, p54
The article reports on the International Association of Fire Chiefs' recommendation that all departments update their multiple-casualty policies and plans. Emergency protocols, personnel training and equipment must be ready for any potential disaster or emergency involving many injuries or victims.
- TRAINING NEEDS. // Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2004 Supplement, Vol. 48, p9
Focuses on a training unit for firefighters and emergency medical technicians in the United States. Observation and burn module; Dual monitoring probes; Heat shield.
- TECHNOLOGY ROUNDUP: SAFETY DRIVES RESEARCH PROJECTS. Dittmar, Mary Jane // Fire Engineering;May2005, Vol. 158 Issue 5, p67
This article discusses the research and technology-related activities in areas of concern and topics that have engaged the fire-emergency and Emergency Medical Services. As a point of interest, research pertaining to training has been broadened to include opportunities for "self-instruction."...
- A TOWERING FEPP PROGRAM SUCCESS: TRAILER TRUCK PROVIDES FIRE TRAINING ACADEMY ENVIRONMENT FOR NORTHERN MINNESOTA'S CLOQUET AREA FIRE DISTRICT. Schroeder, Kevin // Fire Management Today;2013, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p25
The article focuses on the semitractor trailer truck acquired by the Cloquet Area Fire District (CAFD) in Minnesota in the fall of 2011 which offers a fire training academy environment to all aspects of basic and advanced firefighting training. Topics discussed include the training opportunities...
- COMPANY ASSOCIATION NEWS. // Fire Engineering;Dec2003, Vol. 156 Issue 12, p114
Reports on developments related to fire departments and emergency medical services organizations and companies in the U.S. as of December 2003. Announcement by the U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) that the Scott Air-Pak self-contained breathing apparatus from...
- COMING EVENTS. // Fire Engineering;May2010, Vol. 163 Issue 5, p180
A calendar of events, conferences, exhibits for the fire service scheduled in the U.S. from May to September 2010 is presented, including the Metro Atlanta Fire Fighter's Conference, the 78th Annual Summer Fire School and Midwest Wildfire Training Academy, and CLINCON 2010: Clinical Conference...
- Reporting a 'controlled' burn before lighting it is the correct thing to do. Szymanski, J. A. // East Bernard Express (TX);5/1/2008, Vol. 65 Issue 18, p5
The article discusses general requirements needed to consider before burning abandoned buildings for the training of firefighters which include burning must be outside the corporate limits of a city or town and it should be conducted only when wind direction are such that smoke and other...
- Hot time on the runway. // Popular Mechanics;Mar98, Vol. 175 Issue 3, p16
Reports on how firefighters who train at the Aircraft Rescue and Firefighters Training Facility at O'Hare International Airport handle a fuel-spill inferno. How the drill is conducted.
- A right way and a wrong way. Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Dec99, Vol. 152 Issue 12, p4
Editorial. Offers opinion on ways to improve fire fighting services in the United States. Reinvention of fire service to avoid line-of-duty deaths; Real safety and real duty rules achieved through training and understanding fire behavior and cultivating strategic intelligence.