Fire Funds in Congress Talks
- CALENDAR. // Fire Chief;Oct2005, Vol. 49 Issue 10, p15
Presents a calendar of events of interest to fire fighters in the United States. The Art of Reading Smoke in Mattoon, Illinois; IAFF Redmond Symposium in Honolulu, Hawaii; Engine Company Operations in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE. Halton, Bobby // Fire Engineering;Apr2006, Vol. 159 Issue 4, p10
The article reflects on the reactions of the so-called informed individuals regarding the reduction of the funds for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant program in the U.S. Accordingly, the budget request that was passed by President George W. Bush and Congress for firefighters in 2007 is 50...
- THIRTY-THOUSAND FIREFIGHTERS ENTRUSTING YOU TO THIS ENORMOUS TASK. Harbour, Tom // Fire Management Today;Spring2006, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p9
Encourages firefighters in the U.S. to build a better future for wildland fire suppression in the country. Challenges facing firefighters in the performance of their wildland fire suppression duties; Need to develop a core operating system that relies on a solid, integrated framework of both...
- COMING EVENTS. // Fire Engineering;Aug2010, Vol. 163 Issue 8, p136
A 2010 calendar of events for the U.S. fire fighting sector is presented which includes the iWomen Leadership Conference in Chicago, Illinois on August 23-24, the Second Annual Midsouth Police, Fire, & Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Expo in Memphis, Tennessee on Septmeber 9-10, and the 2010...
- Fire Commentary. Zapatka, Robert E. // Fire Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 158 Issue 11, p104
This article presents information on the firefighters of the United States. According to an estimate there are more than one million firefighters in the United States today. Majority of these firefighters fall under the category of municipal firefighters. But apart from municipal firefighters...
- Blaze a Path Into Firefighting. Byrne, Paul // Career World;Sep2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p14
The article focuses on pursuing a career in firefighting. It outlines the annual earnings of the average fulltime firefighter in the U.S. It discusses the physically demanding test for firefighting candidates and the hands-on training provided to hired firefighters. A description of the tasks of...
- Wanted: Firefighters for a Changing World. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p32
Looks at workforce difficulties in fire service in the U.S. Reduction of paid firefighters due to economic downturns; Sustainability issues in voluntary fire service; Determinants of diminishing enthusiasm for the profession.
- THE FIRE BIRDS. Hoffman, Carl // Popular Mechanics;Feb2008, Vol. 185 Issue 2, p70
The article presents information on various fire protection operations of the U.S. airtankers. It informs how tracker pilots Joe Satrapa and Scott Upton extinguished the Poomacha wild fire of San Diego County, California. It is reported that in the early 1930s, the first pilots to fight fires...
- USFA: Savings Mean More Grants. // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p9
Reports on the award for additional fiscal year 2003 grants to fire departments by the U.S. Fire Administration in September 2004. Source of the funding; Proponents of the savings program; Efforts undertaken by the agency to support the program.